Concurrent Jobs Run

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

speedsterrules
Participant

Concurrent Jobs Run

Post by speedsterrules »

What is our criteria for analyzing how many server jobs should we run concurrently on our server ?

Thanks
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

the criteria should be performance. Run as many as you can without affecting others:-)

Btw, i have seen that the datastage server begins to buckle if you cross more than 16-17 jobs running simultaneously.
Sreedhar
Participant

Post by Sreedhar »

The only criteria should be the availability of the CPU and Memory. As along as the CPU and Memory are available we can submit as many jobs as possible.

To know that we have certain tools which should help you to know the CPU and Memory available on your server.
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
speedsterrules
Participant

Post by speedsterrules »

thanks for the reply.

if you can direct me to any manual or specific tool that can give me that information, i will appreciate it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A 286 chip or a Pentium IV class chip? Single core or dual core? Single CPU or multiple CPU? 640KB of memory (which Bill Gates once asserted should be all you ever need) or more? And so on. Your question is moot without specifying a particular hardware configuration.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
speedsterrules
Participant

Post by speedsterrules »

I talked to our DS Admin and asked the information about the server configuration and as has been mentioned, the answer to my question is dependent on the server info which means I cannot get a generic answer.

Thanks for all your comments.