Compare ETL

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Compare ETL

Post by shrey3a »

Hi,

Is there is way to compare two ETL's like we have different version of jobs in test and dev but we want to compare what is the difference b/w two, mostly we are concernrd abt the column names.

We thought of comparing the dsx thru' beyond compare or any other diff utility but is there is any better method/ way to do it.

Regards,
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There is a very good job comparison utility in the next release of DataStage but not much in the current release. Since you are talking server edition you can extract your job definitions to the reporting tool and run queries against it and compare the query results. You should be able to run a query that shows columns that differ between different versions of a job. You can export the jobs to dsx files and run diffs against it.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

vmcburney wrote:You can export the jobs to dsx files and run diffs against it.
This is what I would recommend you check out. It's easy to do as long as you have a good visual diff tool (like UltraEdit for example) and simple for people to understand what they are seeing. Typically. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would use Reporting Assistant and do like Vincent suggested. Most of what changes is in DSProperties. Do a select where all the fields are equal except JobName and PropValue not equal. Should get you a much more readable difference.

I think MetaStage has a job compare report built in.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'll have to check that out as it's been a long time since I've done much of anything with the RA. Unless you've migrated the repository to something else, that would require some knowledge of Access... not all my peoples do. And I don't believe the Reporting Assistant supports Sequence jobs, do it?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You don't need to know MS Access to use the reporting assistant. Your client installs a system ODBC connection called DataStage Reporting Assistant. Once you move your data into the Reporting repository from the Manager tool you can access the details in any ODBC enabled product such as MS Query or Excel.

I don't think Sequence jobs go into the Reporting Assistant but since the requirement was for column impact analysis I don't think that's a big deal in this case.

I do think there is a job comparison utility in MetaStage but I haven't seen it in action.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

vmcburney wrote:You don't need to know MS Access to use the reporting assistant. Your client installs a system ODBC connection called DataStage Reporting Assistant. Once you move your data into the Reporting repository from the Manager tool you can access the details in any ODBC enabled product such as MS Query or Excel.

I don't think Sequence jobs go into the Reporting Assistant but since the requirement was for column impact analysis I don't think that's a big deal in this case.

I do think there is a job comparison utility in MetaStage but I haven't seen it in action.
I'm also in the process of evaluating a good utility to compare .dsx just to get an idea of what has been changed etc. So far from the board, I have heard of [1]UltraCompare...which does a decent comparision between dsx though it give the DS internals associated with the changes in a job [2]Unix command diff which I haven't given it a shot.

I'm about to look at Beyond Compare from Scooter Software and just want to hear from you guys on this if you have done any study on this.

Also can someone confirm if MetaStage DOES have the Job Comparison and if so, how useful it is.

Thanks a ton.
Vijay