How to configure DSN for Oracle In unix (Server)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

georgesebastian
Participant

How to configure DSN for Oracle In unix (Server)

Post by georgesebastian »

Hi,

Please help us out...

How to configure DSN for Oracle In unix .

what changes has to be done in .uvodbc.config,.odbc.ini files.

Is there any other files that i need to modify

Please guide us

George
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Welcome Aboard,
No, just those two files for an odbc connection. This has been discussed here before, search on keywords.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you planning on using ODBC? Or OCI? If the latter, then it's a matter of configuring DataStage for Oracle and it's documented in the Install and Upgrade Guide and the Plug-In Configuration Guide.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The mindset that you need is that DataStage is just another client as far as Oracle is concerned. So the usual environment variables, such as ORACLE_HOME, need to be set up for DataStage (in the dsenv script), the DSN (for ODBC) is set up in .odbc.ini and in uvodbc.config, and Oracle client software is set up in the Oracle directory (especially tnsnames.ora).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
georgesebastian
Participant

DSguru2B wrote:Welcome Aboard,
No, just those two files for an odbc connection. This has been discussed here before, search on keywords.
Sir,

our pre prod's DSN is working well and fine.so i checked the .odbc.ini,uvodbc.config files with our Development server. The files are almost the same.

But i didnt find the DSN name entry in any of the 2 files in pre-prod also.
What i feel is there should be a file where DSN name,userid to oracle,password should be stored.
Do we need to create a file like that.
Looking forward to yur replay
George
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... you are planning on using ODBC? Why not 'go native' and use OCI? :?
-craig

georgesebastian
Participant

DSN connection its not there

chulett wrote:So... you are planning on using ODBC? Why not 'go native' and use OCI? :?

I dont mind using anything OCI or ODBC.But to import metadata i need a DSN connection its not there.Can any one show me a copy of .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config files. I think these are not created properly.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

You dont need ODBC to import the metedata, you can use Plug-in Metadata definitions to do your import.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you have DataStage Enterprise edition, import Oracle table definitions using Orchestrate (orchdbutil). It imports the data types more accurately than does the OCI stage, particularly decimal data types.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

georgesebastian wrote:What i feel is there should be a file where DSN name,userid to oracle,password should be stored.
Do we need to create a file like that.
All of that would be parametrized at the end of the day. Then these parameters would be retrieved however you want to. Some store it in a file. Some prefer using DataStage directory and create user defined enivornment variables which are then defaulted to $PROJDEF. Its your choice.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
travissolt
Participant

Orchestrate vs plug-in meta

Post by travissolt »

Are there issues with importing tables through the orchestrate schema definitions versus the plug-in metadata definitions? I have heard that when using paralleism the table structure that is imported through the orchestrate method works better then if it is done using the plug-in meta. Is this true? I am trying to figure out the best method for bringing in all of my source tables. The orchestrate schema method would require me to do it manually table by table where as the plug-in meta option allows me to select as many tables from oracle as I need.
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Technically this is hijacking the thread, which is frowned upon - your question does not relate to configuring a DSN. In future please begin a new thread (choose "Post New Topic").

The Orchestrate method is more accurate, particularly with decimal/numeric data types.
georgesebastian
Participant

Re: Orchestrate vs plug-in meta

travissolt wrote:Are there issues with importing tables through the orchestrate schema definitions versus the plug-in metadata definitions? I have heard that when using paralleism the table structure that is imported through the orchestrate method works better then if it is done using the plug-in meta. Is this true? I am trying to figure out the best method for bringing in all of my source tables. The orchestrate schema method would require me to do it manually table by table where as the plug-in meta option allows me to select as many tables from oracle as I need.
Thanks
We are using server jobs, i am using plugin metadata..but finding error"unable to initialize plugin"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My compllaint was related to travissolt's post, not yours.

"Unable to initialize plugin" is typically related to the plug-in not being able to find something it requires in the shared library search path or in the command directory search path. It can also result from required database environment variables (such as ORACLE_HOME) not being set correctly.

Have you searched the forum to see how others have resolved this same question?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

George has a big 'ol thread on that very topic over in the Server forum. Right now he's got bigger fish to fry as DataStage won't start for him.
-craig