SQL1652N : File I/O error occurred

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Try decreasing the number of parallel events one by one and try to see on what number the error goes away. Just for debugging purposes.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

DSguru2B wrote:Try decreasing the number of parallel events one by one and try to see on what number the error goes away. Just for debugging purposes.
Its in production. Lots of processes to be followed even to make one change in the sequencing. Problem is that it only shows issues when ran with production data. It runs perfectly fine with dev data. thats why i think its some performance issue. maybe not with the job but with datastage server itself.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How many times did your try re-running your job? Did it give the same error every single time?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

re run of the job makes it run fine. It fails only when it is run with sequencer. IT fails everytime i run it using the sequence.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Are you using any more Bulk Loader jobs in this sequence job which are fired in parallel? I am just guessing here as I am running out of ideas. The Bulk Loder message file, does it contain any helpful messages?
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Is the sequential file that is used in this job being used in any other Job_Activity in your sequence? Can you check if other job activities are using this sequential file?

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Introduce some delay/sleep between the jobs in your sequence, so that the files get exclusive access.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

DSguru2B wrote:Are you using any more Bulk Loader jobs in this sequence job which are fired in parallel? I am just guessing here as I am running out of ideas. The Bulk Loder message file, does it contain any helpful messages?
I have already ran out of ideas. The bulk loader message file has not much information as the load fails before even 1 row is loaded.

There are around 12 bulk loader jobs which run in parallel but with different tables as targets.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

I_Server_Whale wrote:Is the sequential file that is used in this job being used in any other Job_Activity in your sequence? Can you check if other job activities are using this sequential file?

Whale.
No the sequential file is not used by any other job/activity. the folder in which the file is being accessed by many jobs though
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

narasimha wrote:Introduce some delay/sleep between the jobs in your sequence, so that the files get exclusive access.
exclusive access to what? how will inducing sleep between jobs help?
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Rohit,
You could write a routine to sleep for x seconds, call it in between your jobs in the Job sequence.
When I said exclusive access, I mean wait for the resources involved to get freed up.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:
There are around 12 bulk loader jobs which run in parallel but with different tables as targets.
Are you providing different TEMP_DIR's for all these jobs in the DB2 Load Stage? They are all trying to create the same set of command files. If their folder is the same then thats your problem right there. Also make sure that the message files have unique names.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

DSguru2B wrote:
Krazykoolrohit wrote:
Are you providing different TEMP_DIR's for all these jobs in the DB2 Load Stage? They are all trying to create the same set of command files. If their folder is the same then thats your problem right there. Also make sure that the message files have unique names.
I think you have a point here. This may be the reason. for some strange reason our support team wants all jobs to write to the same log file. will correct it and see how it goes. thanx
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Krazykoolrohit wrote: for some strange reason our support team wants all jobs to write to the same log file.
Possible, but it has to be sequential. For parallel processing, they have to be seperate files. Perhaps your support team needs to know that simultaneous writes to the same file is not possible, whether its the command files or log files.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

DSguru2B wrote:
Krazykoolrohit wrote: for some strange reason our support team wants all jobs to write to the same log file.
Possible, but it has to be sequential. For parallel processing, they have to be seperate files. Perhaps your support team needs to know that simultaneous writes to the same file is not possible, whether its the command files or log files.
They have their wierd ways of forcing things which doesnt make any sense. its a long story. I will keep this post updated. it may take few days to test the changes done as the jobs are in prodn