Regarding Hashed file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

Regarding Hashed file

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
In hashed file stage properties, there are two options, either by specifying the account name or by specifying directory path.
I was using directory path, instead of account name.what is meant by account name.I have seen my friend specifying UV account name.
I want to know what is meant by accountname.Inorder to specify account name is there any requirements .
plz Gurus help me.

cheers;
vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Regarding that, I'm curious - you keep mentioning this 'friend' who does all these strange things, why not ask them? :? Serious question, btw.

At it's most easy to digest level, account = project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If you select Account Name, don't enter anything, the hashed file gets created in the Project directory.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Specifically, the current project the job is running under. Which means it follows along as you 'uplift' the job from dev to test, etc. Or specify a project to restrict it to that project regardless.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Even more pedantically, the account name that you give must exist as an entry in a system table called UV.ACCOUNT.

This is a hangover from the days when DataStage was a UniVerse application; the UniVerse name for schema is "account". (That's a simplification, but will serve to explain the overlap in terminologies.)

Best practice, however, is to create hashed files for DataStage in one or more dedicated directories, and thereby to avoid cluttering up the account.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote: Best practice, however, is to create hashed files for DataStage in one or more dedicated directories, and thereby to avoid cluttering up the account.
Very good piece of advice from Ray. Vijaykumar, you can pass the word onto your "friends".
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mint_ag
Participant

Post by mint_ag »

I am putting Project name. Jon is getting complied successfully but while executing it says unable to open hash-file. Though I have saved the file in the project. Please advice.
!! Ashutosh G !!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you ever CREATED the hashed file? Your job is quite clearly NOT completing successfully if you are getting this error.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If you read above, it says the best practice is to create hashed files for DataStage in one or more dedicated directories, to avoid cluttering up the account.

Also, you need to do a new post for your questions, this is called post hijacking.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I think Ray nipped the evil in the bed. The hashed file should be created prior to its read.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.