NVL in Server jobs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsdoubt
Participant

NVL in Server jobs?

Post by dsdoubt »

Hi,

Is there any functions available like NVL(input,'x'). ie., to return first non null value. Similar to NullToValue() in PX. Or If..Then...Else is the only case?
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

You have a NullToEmpty and NullToZero.
You can extend that to get what you want.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You'll find these as Transforms, rather than as Routines. Create your own NullToValue transform in the same category. Of course, it will need two arguments, not one.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Expanding on Ray's answer. Create a new transform 'NullToValue' with two input arguments, Arg1 and Arg2, where Arg1 is your input and Arg2 is the value if input is NULL. Put this code in the "Definition" field.

Code: Select all

(IF ISNULL(%Arg1%) THEN %Arg2% ELSE %Arg1%)
Whale.[/i]
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You can also incorporate Len(in.Col) < 1 in Whale's code to handle source files.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.