Difference between Email routine using the Sequencer and job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prmuttireddy
Participant

Difference between Email routine using the Sequencer and job

Post by prmuttireddy »

Hi,

What is difference calling the email routine in after-job-routine in job and creating routine activity in Sequencer?

Is there any differnece? Could please tell me?

Thanks in advance.

Reagrds,
Reddy.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Difference between Email routine using the Sequencer and

Post by I_Server_Whale »

prmuttireddy wrote:creating routine activity in Sequencer?
You cannot create a Routine_Activity in a Sequencer. But you can certainly create a Routine_Activity in a Job Sequence.
prmuttireddy wrote:What is difference calling the email routine in after-job-routine in job and creating routine activity in Sequencer?
When you call a routine in an after job sub-routine, the routine is executed after each job run.

When you have a Routine_Activity in a Job Sequence, the routine is executed when the job sequence is run.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The difference will be on, how you need to use it.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
prmuttireddy
Participant

Post by prmuttireddy »

Thanks for reply.
I have used the mail routine in after job routine in job.Its working fine.can we use that routine in sequencer instead of job or we can use anything?

Regards,
Reddy.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A sequencer can only make an Any or All decision to trigger its output(s) depending on whether its inputs have fired. It can not invoke routines.

In a job sequence, however, you can invoke DSSendMail via a Routine activity (clumsy) or a Notification activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.