Regarding Rowsplitter

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

Regarding Rowsplitter

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,

I have created a table in oracle caled saa, it has columns
column names: empno, fullname,salary.

my design is odbc----->rowsplitter----->sequential file.

i want to split the column fullname into firstname and lastname.

In the row splitter, i defined the properties.

column to be splitted:fullname

General tab:I checked multiple lines.

Inputs tab:Empno,Fullname,Salary

outputs tab:empno,salary,firstname,last name.

output format tab:suppress any row trunscation warnings.

when i run the job, iam getting error
job1..Row_Splitter_1: read_delimited() - row 1, line 1, column firstname, required column missing.Please Gurus help me
cheers;
vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's not what that stage is for. Use a transformer and split your name field in the derivation there - one field in, two fields out.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

DSOnlineHelp wrote:The row splitter stage reads data one row at a time from an input link. It splits the data fields contained in a string into a number of columns. It then writes the columns to the output link. The stage can have a single input link and a single output link.

In normal operation of the row splitter stage, each input string processed results in an output row of multiple columns. In some cases, however, a single input string may represent several rows of input data. In this case the stage can deconcatenate these into separate rows for output.

The row splitter stage is similar to the server sequential file stage. The difference is that, while the sequential file stage reads from a file, the row splitter stage reads from a link.
Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi Gurus,

In that case will my design change to

odbc----->transformer--->rowsplitter.

please help me.

cheers;
vijay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No. :? Forget about the rowsplitter, replace it with a Sequential File stage.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

vijaykumar, are you just playing with different stages :?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Nope. That's not what Craig meant. The advise was based on your requirement to split the "FullName" column.

That requirement, can be achieved by using the transformer alone and does not need the "Row Splitter". Since, typically a fullname has the firstname and lastname separated by a space or a comma. You can put in the Field function in the derivation fields of FirstName and LastName. That will achieve what is required.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

DSguru2B wrote:vijaykumar, are you just playing with different stages :?
I guess so. :wink: And we will be going through all of them. Review kinda thing, perhaps. :wink:

Playing = Learning :P
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I_Server_Whale wrote:
DSguru2B wrote:vijaykumar, are you just playing with different stages :?
I guess so. :wink: And we will be going through all of them.
Oy!
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Tell me about it. I havent used row splitter and row merger in ages and i brushed up my knowledge on them :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi Gurus,
Iam not playing with different stages.Some times i need to use different stage beacause i never used these stages.
Only this stage, there was no requirement i was trying to use this component.I want to analyze this component and use whereever necessary and i dont want to be in awkward position that if somebody asks about the usage of component, then i couldn't reply them.
Iam not wasting your time.probabily if we analyze the component then they definitely sometimes come across in improving performance.
please kindly don't think in other way.Iam not wasting your time.I know the importance of this forum.

cheers;
vijay
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Your not wasting anyones time. You will always have someone or the other to reply to posts. As Whale put it, playing is equivalent to learning. Didnt mean to discourage you with my comment up there.
A friendly piece of advice, you have manuals, go through them. They will give you a good understanding of how to use these stages.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

No hard feelings, Vijay. There is nothing wrong in what you are trying to do, which is "Learning". Keep shooting your questions. :)

I'd say that it is good practice to read about a stage thoroughly and try to get a decent level of understanding before posting. There you go, DSguru2B just spoke my mind.

Whale.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I_Server_Whale wrote: There you go, DSguru2B just spoke my mind.
O yea. I have Ray's RMM stage with me. :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't forget the Help you get with DataStage. It's particularly well done as a means of getting to the desired information quickly; for example some useful portals (such as "BASIC Tasks") and "click on the picture" interfaces.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.