Auto Archving of Logs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

theverma
Participant

Auto Archving of Logs

Post by theverma »

Hi,
I want to archive my Logs Automaticaly in some directory.
As far as i know,we have two options to maintain Logs :
(1) Auto purge logs over SOME Days.So it will maintain the Log files for job run upto those many runs and after that duration the logs will be purged.
(2) Take a print of the logs and save them to Disk.

I want that the Logs should be archive before purge automatically.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Waiting for ur Reply
Arun Verma
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Unfortunately, there is no mechanism for you to add a user-command (such as taking an archive) to the autopurge mechanism. You would need to do something like set your auto-purge to 3 days and run a log backup process of your choice every 2 days (and remove duplicates).
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

As ArndW suggested, nothing out of the box. What you could do is spit out the entire log using dsjob -logdetail to a file and then compress those files. Set AutoPurge option accordingly.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Auto Archving of Logs

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

theverma wrote:Hi,
I want to archive my Logs Automaticaly in some directory.
As far as i know,we have two options to maintain Logs :
(1) Auto purge logs over SOME Days.So it will maintain the Log files for job run upto those many runs and after that duration the logs will be purged.
(2) Take a print of the logs and save them to Disk.

I want that the Logs should be archive before purge automatically.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Waiting for ur Reply
In datastage Director, click the option which enables the director to maintain log for last 3(the number u want) days. and then when you are writing the log file, just create a new one everytime and dump the log.
theverma
Participant

Post by theverma »

Rohit Can u please tell me how to create the log file other than what Director maintains??
Arun Verma
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Did you completely overlook ArndW and my replies.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

theverma wrote:Rohit Can u please tell me how to create the log file other than what Director maintains??
I just told you how to get 3 days log into your files. (something what arndw had already said).

What kind of log files you want to generate other than director? you may want to run a routine which will store the information inside director to a text file. Search on this forum for it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you still at RIL? I'm fairly certain there's already a routine there for doing just this task.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.