The connection is broken (81002)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

christy
Participant

The connection is broken (81002)

Post by christy »

In the past when I got "the connection is broken (81002)" error, I would re-start the machine; then ran "DS.REINDEX ALL" in Administrator; then open DS designer; everything would be fine.

However, today when I got the error, I re-started the machine and ran "DS.REINDEX ALL" successful. After that, I still couldn't get the Designer to open. I couldn't go back to open Administrator either. I kept on getting the 81002 error. I would have to re-start the machine again to open Administrator. What else should I check?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I dont see the need of doing a REINDEX of your repository just because you are having network issues. Search for keywords "the connection is broken (81002)". It has been covered before. Lets hope you did not break anything.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
christy
Participant

Post by christy »

Thanks for the reply.... I don't think it is a network issue because I am working from the server and the SQL database is on the same server as DS jobs.
DSguru2B wrote:I dont see the need of doing a REINDEX of your repository just because you are having network issues. Search for keywords "the connection is broken (81002)". It has been covered before. Lets hope you did not break anything.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The message says that the connection is broken. Do an exact search on those key words. People have gotton this resolved before. Try it out.
Also, when you say you couldnt get the designer to open, what 'complete' error message are you getting?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
christy
Participant

Post by christy »

Thanks. I had been searching the forums for 81002 for quite sometime. The reboot and REINDEX worked before. I tried COUNT DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS and they both returned correct results.

It eorrs when I try to open everthing DS related: Administrator, Manager, Designer or Director. They are all installed on ther same server. The exact error is:

DataStage Repository Interface
Failed to connect to host: XXXX, project: xxxxxxxx
(The connection is broken (81002))

DSguru2B wrote:The message says that the connection is broken. Do an exact search on those key words. People have gotton this resolved before. Try it out.
Also, when you say you couldnt get the designer to open, what 'complete' error message are you getting?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The reboot alone would have worked, and even that is overkill.

If the connection is broken all you need to do is establish a new connection.

(Objects locked in the old connection may need to be unlocked.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
christy
Participant

Post by christy »

After another reboot (the 5th try), I finally got it to work. I recompiled all the jobs and things seem to be working ok now.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not relevant. "The connection is broken" can be caused by something as simple as an inactivity timeout.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Just curious, did up make any changes between the 4th and 5th reboot.
Or did it start working automagically after the 5th?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Like Ray mentioned, it can be caused by "Inactivity Timeout" setting.
By default it is 86400 seconds.
Can you check your "Inactivity Timeout" value and post it?
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The default out of the box for version 7.5x2 is 3600 seconds (one hour).
christy
Participant

Post by christy »

I am having the same problem again today. I edited a job and saved it (I was able to open DS designer). When I went to compile, I got an error as if there was a syntax error compiling. So I changed it back to where it was before and tried to compile. Same error.

I closed DS designer. I then would NOT be able to open it anymore. Director errored. Administrator Errored... 81002 same as yesterday.

However, instead of a reboot, (I cannot. It is a production server.) I logged off. When I log back in again, the designer is WORKING!

RE: Inactivity timeout:

I have Do not timeout checked.
The secounds box is blank.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You got something cooking. I'd say contact support and notify them and seek a solution.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

christy wrote:I am having the same problem again today. I edited a job and saved it (I was able to open DS designer). When I went to compile, I got an error as if there was a syntax error compiling. So I changed it back to where it was before and tried to compile. Same error.

I closed DS designer. I then would NOT be able to open it anymore. Director errored. Administrator Errored... 81002 same as yesterday.

However, instead of a reboot, (I cannot. It is a production server.) I logged off. When I log back in again, the designer is WORKING!

RE: Inactivity timeout:

I have Do not timeout checked.
The secounds box is blank.
Just a suggestion. Have you checked the time out value of your Login ID in the server? It can be possible that your login Id when it logs on to the server is timed out instead of datastage timing it out.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Krazykoolrohit wrote:Just a suggestion. Have you checked the time out value of your Login ID in the server? It can be possible that your login Id when it logs on to the server is timed out instead of datastage timing it out.
Good Point!