regarding command stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

'Custom' as in a user written plug-in? Or is this something that only ships with the Windows version of DataStage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

I just checked a windows version 7.1.
It does have a Command Stage Plug-In.
As Criag said it should be something specific to windows version.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

For those who like trivia --- the Command Stage was developed somewhere during the time of release 4, and was a pre-cursor to the Job Sequencer --- a bit of an experiment really, to solve the need for a particular customer. It was built for Windows initially, and then decisions were made not to port it outside of Windows once there were other alternatives for executing "other" activities.

Ernie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's interesting - thanks Ernie. So, does the thing work? Still supported? Ship with documentation?

Please Guru help me. :wink:
-craig

rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

This kind of topic has been discussed before. For those who haven't used the WINDOZE version, refer this link, there is indeed a server job command stage,though im not sure how helpful is is.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That fact has already been established. Now we're trying to move on to the 'how helpful' stage. :wink:

However, as I've only ever played the UNIX version of the DataStage game, I can't really help there either.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote:
Please Guru help me. :wink:
What gotton into you Craig :roll:
:wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Just getting tired of all the pleading... the whole point of this place is helping others, people don't need to end every post with a plea for help. :roll:

Hang tight, be patient, you'll get whatever help people can provide when they can provide it... no groveling required.
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

vijaykumar wrote:Hi Gurus,
It is a custom stage.It falls under this category.
Can't i use this stage in server, bz when i used the operating system command " dir ", its working fine, i can see from the director.

please Gurus help me .

cheers;
vijay
He said it was a custom stage. Has to be PX.
Mamu Kim
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

chulett wrote:Just getting tired of all the pleading... the whole point of this place is helping others, people don't need to end every post with a plea for help. :roll:

Hang tight, be patient, you'll get whatever help people can provide when they can provide it... no groveling required.
Thats true Craig. Been seeing those words a lot lately.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kduke wrote:He said it was a custom stage. Has to be PX.
Well, apparently there is a Server version on the Windows platform, as Ernie and others have confirmed. Don't know about the 'custom' aspect of it at all, so perhaps both answers apply. [shrug]
-craig

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Ok.. now this thread is getting interesting. :) Social commentary on pleading (I agree) aside, why does a "custom stage" have to be PX? Vocabulary in DS has certainly gotten complicated, hasn't it. Custom Stage used to mean "user written using the DSCAPI API...." (see Merge, CoSort, and lots of others). Custom Operator or BuildOp would "specifically" mean PX.

As far as I know, the "Command Stage" that can be used in-stream and sends its output down a link is a Windows and "Server" only animal.

Ernie
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Okay Ernie, you are correct. I meant Custom Operator. None of this makes sense otherwise.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I looked it up. I forgot there was a Command Stage in Server. I thought the only thing that matched was Execute Command in a sequence besides a Custom Operator.

None of this makes sense. ds-report does not sound correct either. Is this dsjob -report? Why would you want this. You get row counts in the log anyway.

Too much guessing for now. Ernie, too many stages too. Very confusing with PX added to the mix. I am starting to forget the Server stuff.
Mamu Kim
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kduke wrote: I am starting to forget the Server stuff.
Who's going to teach us the cool stuff then :cry: ?