Regarding OCI STAGE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Regarding OCI STAGE

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,
On what basis OCI STAGE has better performance than ODBC STAGE.

can anyone help me out, only it uses native base connectivity we can't say that it has better performance than ODBC. plz help me out whats the reason behind.

cheers;
saama
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Experience. Native > ODBC.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You need to 'Search' before you POST. This topic has been covered many times. ODBC is a very heavy interface and it is slower than native access most of the time.

To start with, check this POST.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi Gurus,
I have searched the forum, and analyzed that ,Its because it doesn't bother to maintain the integrity of data, it doesn't search for indexes while processing.am i going in the right way.

cheer;
saama
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Completely on the wrong track.

ODBC is usually slower (a) because there are extra layers of software involved (includng but not limited to the ODBC driver manager and the ODBC driver), and (b) sometimes the ODBC way of doing things - particularly if the JET Engine is involved - is curiously inefficient (for example to select all the rows select all the keys then effect an individual select for each individual row).

For some databases, SELECT performance is not much different between the two methods.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.