How merge stage works

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

changming
Participant

How merge stage works

Post by changming »

I was facing one preblem. the merge stage process two files. all filds are direct writen to a new output file. something I do not understand is some field in source is null become others field's value in target file. if I replace the null with 'NULL' in source, 'NULL' will be writen in target file correctly. IT seems that merge stage can not hanlde null string properly. Does any one know how merge stage work?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you please give a more detailed example, perhaps naming the source and target columns and telling us exactly what happens?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: How merge stage works

Post by us1aslam1us »

changming wrote: Does any one know how merge stage work?
You can know that by going through DataStage Online Manaual.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
vikrants
Participant

Re: How merge stage works

Post by vikrants »

changming wrote:I was facing one preblem. the merge stage process two files. all filds are direct writen to a new output file. something I do not understand is some field in source is null become others field's value in target file. if I replace the null with 'NULL' in source, 'NULL' will be writen in target file correctly. IT seems that merge stage can not hanlde null string properly. Does any one know how merge stage work?
Try setting the 'Nullable' type for those fields to 'Yes' in the 'Columns' tab of your Merge Stage. That should fix the problem.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Is it a fixed width file? That case, there is chance where the data extraction might be wrong. Merge doesn't shuffles the field values.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'