Upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinagesh
Participant

Upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2

Post by srinagesh »

Hi !

We are planning to upgrade from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2 and for this I am stuck at the point of asking for Privileges from Unix administrator.

Do I need to request for Password for the Root account? Or Should I ask for Root privileges to be granted to dsadm user so that I can do my upgrade.

Is there any way to find out if the user already has root Privileges ?

Regards
Nagesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's generally safe to assume that if the user ID is not root, then the user does not have superuser privileges.

You can certainly check; to have root privileges the user must have an effective user ID of 0.

Ask for the password to the root account - just get someone to type it in for you - you don't actually have to know it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srinagesh
Participant

Post by srinagesh »

Thanks Ray.

The Unix admin is still skeptical about the Root access.

Are there any Privileges or rights (a subset of root privileges) that can be granted to dsadm for the Upgrade to go thru?

-Nagesh
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

Let the administrator read the Installation and Upgrade Guide.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or let them run it for you under your guidance. I've done that before and it's fairly painless.

Unless you are deep in their Good Graces, they're not going to give you the root password. However, they may grant you 'sudo' privs on the installation script which I've also done and works fine. They will then happily undo that once you are done. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers