Datatime Field Overflow

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datatime Field Overflow

Post by iwin »

Hi,
I am trying to load a Sql Server table sourced from Oracle table with Effect start date and end date as of two date fields. After loading 9k records i am getting an Error:

" SQLSTATE=22008, DBMS.CODE=0
[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Datetime field overflow"

Any idea abt why i am getting this error?

thanks in advance.
Every person you meet knows something you don't, Learn from them.
-- H. Jackson Brown
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Search this site, its been covered gazillions of times.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

SQL Server expects the date to be in the following format:

Code: Select all

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.TTT

where, TTT is the milliseconds part.

In what format are you getting the date from Oracle? How is the metadata defined for these fields on source and target side?

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iwin »

Hi,
I am getting the date from oracle in "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" format with column generated SQL and defind as timestamp datatype. Coming to Target Sql server it is also defined as timestamp datatype in Datastage. I am getting this error after 9K records are loaded. I viewed the data and the datetime format in target is "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.TTT".

Thanks.
I_Server_Whale wrote:SQL Server expects the date to be in the following format:

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.TTT

where, TTT is the milliseconds part.

In what format are you getting the date from Oracle? How is the metadata defined for these fields on source and target side?

Whale.
-- H. Jackson Brown
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Can you post the information after this error message:

[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Datetime field overflow" 

I mean, the data for which(dates) it fails.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iwin »

I dont see any information after this message.
I_Server_Whale wrote:Can you post the information after this error message:

I mean, the data for which(dates) it fails.

Whale.
-- H. Jackson Brown
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

are there any spaces or blanks in dae field? check for them in oracle table by firing a query.
iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iwin »

Thanks rohit,
I did check it. There are no spaces or nulls in date field. And also i dont get the row which is generating this error
Krazykoolrohit wrote:are there any spaces or blanks in dae field? check for them in oracle table by firing a query.
-- H. Jackson Brown
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

iwin wrote:Hi,
I am getting the date from oracle in "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" format with column generated SQL and defind as timestamp datatype. Coming to Target Sql server it is also defined as timestamp datatype in Datastage. I am getting this error after 9K records are loaded. I viewed the data and the datetime format in target is "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.TTT".
What are the lengths and scales of these date fields defined on the source and target side?

Whale.
iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iwin »

Hi ,
Source Oracle:
Datatype :Timestamp
Length : 38
Scale:0

Target Sql Server:
Datatype : Timestamp
Length: 23
Scale :3.

Thanks.
I_Server_Whale wrote:
iwin wrote:Hi,
What are the lengths and scales of these date fields defined on the source and target side?

Whale.
-- H. Jackson Brown
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Let's test it out in a different way. Can you load the data into sequential file instead of your target db? Also, put a constraint in there as

@INROWNUM > 9000

Now see what the dates are like in the sequential file? Post them if they look suspicious.

Whale.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Are these the only date columns? Profile the source date columns and make sure there are no NULLs or invalid dates.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iwin »

Hi Ken,
Yes, these are only date columns defined as not null in source oracle table.

Thanks
kcbland wrote:Are these the only date columns? Profile the source date columns and make sure there are no NULLs or invalid dates.
-- H. Jackson Brown
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Do a select min(yourcolumnA), max(yourcolumnA), min(yourcolumnB), max(yourcolumnb) from yoursourcetable and see if the results will work within SQL Server. You may have Oracle OK dates but not SQL-Server OK dates.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
iwin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by iwin »

Hey Ken,
I just noticed that the min date value in oracle is "0016/11/10" where as for Sql server it is "1990/01/03". I am assuming this maight be the problem.

Any inputs please.

Thanks
kcbland wrote:Do a select min(yourcolumnA), max(yourcolumnA), min(yourcolumnB), max(yourcolumnb) from yoursourcetable and see if the results will work within SQL Server. You may have Oracle OK dates but not SQL-Server OK dates.
-- H. Jackson Brown