HASH.HELP stops

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

HASH.HELP stops

Post by Precious »

Hi All,

Happy 2007!

I have been running tests in regards to a big hashed file that we are working with. [45+ million rows, key=varchar(20), data=integer]
I have used various configurations with varying results. As part of the testing, I have created the file as a dynamic hashed file with default settings, dynamic hashed file with settings based on results from the ANALYZE.FILE command.

In this process, I also created this hashed file as a static hashed file.
However, I am unable to check the file as HASH.HELP stops. No errors are reported, just 'Program HASH.HELP stopped'.

Any reason that this is happening?

Thanks,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: HASH.HELP stops

Post by ray.wurlod »

Precious wrote: 'Program HASH.HELP stopped'.

Any reason that this is happening?
Probably. Report it to your support provider.

I have certainly used HASH.HELP on hashed files with more rows than 45 million, but they were small rows. I suspect that some kind of arithmetic overflow has occurred within the HASH.HELP program.

Is your static hashed file anywhere near 2GB in size?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: HASH.HELP stops

Post by Precious »

ray.wurlod wrote: Is your static hashed file anywhere near 2GB in size?
:? Yes. I guess that's the problem then.

Just out of interest. Are static hashed files bigger than dynamic hashed files.
I was able to create and test the same file as a dynamic hashed file without any issues, or was it just pure luck?

Thanks,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just luck.

Dynamic hashed files store only the primary group buffers in one file, using a separate file for secondary buffers. This can mean (though don't rely on it) that more than 2GB could be stored in a dynamic hashed file.

The total size on disk should be comparable in either case; the only difference that can't be attributed to distributional variation (that is, your choice of hashing algorithm for the static hashed file) would be the second header (2KB) in a dynamic hashed file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

Thank you very much.
Precious