Reading Multiple Files on a File Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Reading Multiple Files on a File Server

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

Hi
I have a requirement where i need to run a particular job picking files which are kept in a file server. The datastage is on a different machine.The Number of files on the file server might vary day to day i can get one file today and 2 files tomorrow and so on. I need to run the job the number of times as the number of files on that server. I need to automate this.
In between is there a FTP stage which i can use for getting these files on file server to my datastage server? Or is a shell script al i have for getting these files?
But the main Problem is i need to first get a count of number of files on the file server to loop the shell script and the job...
Any ideas to do this will be really Helpful

Thanks
Pavan
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

You can use

Code: Select all

find . -type f | wc -l

to count the number of files.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If your requirement was to get the count of files to loop in your script, then take Whale's code (But you need to be careful if you have subdirectories. This command gives you the count of files inside them too)

If you are looking for an alternate approach-

You might have to write an shell script to FTP all the the file/files from the file server to your datastage server.
You don't have to know the number of files, you can use wildcards to match your search criteria.
Note: Limitation with FTP Stage - it is not possible to use wildcards.

Now that you have all the files on the datastage server, as per your requirement, you can utilize the techinque of your choice (Loops, script,..,..) to read all these files.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

To get the count and the list of file names with some pattern, you can use ls in that directory coupled with wc as well. Use sed or awk to fetch the file name is the required pattern.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... or even a filter in the find command itself, both for level searched and for file name(s). If you can see the directory to use the find command, then you can see the directory to use a Sequential File stage, and should not need to be concerned about using FTP.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

Hi All
Thanks a lot for all your replies....
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Please mark the topic as resolved if you think the issue has been solved. :wink:
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

Hi All
I need to achieve the same functionality on another data stage Instance which is a Server Canvass and ported on Windows Environment.
Any Ideas on how to do this....

Thanks
Pavan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the file server UNIX or Windows? How do you "see" the file server from the DataStage Windows-based server?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

Hi Ray
The File Server is also windows and i have access to the windows file server from my datastage windows server. I can ping that file server from my datastage instance and i can access the directory and the file folder in which files are kept. Sorry if i am a bit cryptic i didn't get what you meant by "see" the file server.

Is there any commands like how Whale as suggested find . -type f | wc -l in windows environment for getting the count. Does the FTP commands work in my script for the windows environment

Thanks
Pavan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you "see" the directory (folder) on the file server as a shared folder? If so, you won't need FTP.

DOS does not have an equivalent of find, but DataStage does. It's called uvwalk and can traverse a tree structure if required. However, DOS also lacks a wc command, and uvwalk does not report the number of files found. So you may be better off executing a DIR command (with appropriate wildcard) and parsing out the "n File(s)" message near the end of the output.
Pavan_Yelugula
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Pavan_Yelugula »

Ray,
Thanks for the reply. but i am waiting for an approval from my manager for Buying Premium membership. it is soo frustating that i am not able to see the answer and try this :x but as soon as i get it i will try the solution you suggested...
For a moment i thought i wont get a solution for this but DSXchange rocks as usual... :D

Thanks
Pavan
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Take a look at these GOOGLE results. They look promising.

Whale.