look up problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dr46014
Participant

look up problem

Post by dr46014 »

hi all
i have a source table containing fields like id,name,location,country_id,region_id.there are also two other tables with only two columns.lets say country_table with country_id and country_name .another one region table with region_id and region_name.
i want to have a look up both for country_table and region_table.if the value of country_id and region_id matches with respective tables then country name nad region name will be populated into the target.how i can achieve this.i am not able to do it using look up.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

These are two distinct lookups. Build two hashed files. One from country_table keyed on county_id and the second from region_table keyed on region id. Perform both the lookupn on those keys in one transformer. Its a regular lookup. I dont see the confusion.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
dr46014
Participant

Post by dr46014 »

can i use odbc stages as a look up or i need to convert them to hash files.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You dont have to. It will just be faster. Or you can do everything in user defined sql. Something like

Code: Select all

select MY.id,MY.name,MY.location,MY.country_id,MY.region_id, C.country_name, R.region_name
from myTable MY left outer join country_table C
ON MY.country_id = C.country_id
left outer join region_table R
ON MY.region_id = R.region_id
But i would suggest build hashed files. It will be nice and very visible to everyone whats going on. Fancy sql tends to hide from other developers.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.