Probelm triggering job via Sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Probelm triggering job via Sequence

Post by yaminids »

Hello friends,

We have a unique problem. We have a job A which is triggered by seqA and we use a triggering tool to trigger all our jobs

The problem is, job A is not getting triggered immediatley after the tool triggers seqA job. Somehow job A is waiting for few minutes before starting

Did anyone notice this before? Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance
Yamini
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Yamini,
What is the desing of your JobSequence? Do you have any before Job subroutine or any scripts that been called. How many parallel jobs/JobSequence been called during the run? How busy was your server during the time of this jobsequence been triggered? How many stages in the Job that been called by Sequence?
If you have only one Jobsequence and only one job been called in that sequence, without any before job actions, it should start pretty much quick.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is your "triggering tool"? There is usually some startup overhead, more in parallel jobs than in server jobs. There is also a delay before the Director client refreshes. What evidence do you have that job A is "waiting"? How do you measure this? Is ANY of the processes in job A (for example DSD.RUN) starting? What is the timestamp in the "job starting" event in the job log?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Probelm triggering job via Sequence

Post by chulett »

yaminids wrote:Somehow job A is waiting for few minutes before starting
There really isn't any way for the Sequence job to 'delay' starting JobA unless you have activities in the Sequence job before the Job Activity stage for JobA.

One situation I've seen that confuses people is if JobA has a 'before job' activity that it runs that takes 'a few minutes'. It will look like there is a delay starting the job when in fact it has started but the before job activity is running. That's one reason I insist on an Annotation on the canvas clearly stating the fact when Before or After job activities are afoot in a job. Any chance that is the case here?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

You can do another comparison.
Run the JobA which is Job sequence outside the sequence. Does it take a long time to start?
What does JobA do? Are you running a intensive process, like querying a large database?
That could be a starting point for the resolution.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I suspect that the job is starting porperly, but the status is not updated promptly. Tell me this, if you run the job manually from director, do you observe the same delay?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Ray,

We use Espresso to trigger our jobs (about 100.) All jobs run without any issues except the one in question.
Job A is triggered sequentially by three different sequences passing different parameters

When I check Director logs there is a difference of atleast 5 mins between Sequence and the actual job

Any thoughts?
Yamini
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you please post (a) the "job run requested" message from the job sequence's log, and (b) the "job starting" message from job A's job log?
Full and complete detail please.

Is it possible that Job A is already running from one sequence when you try to trigger it from another? If so, have you considered making Job A a multi-instance job and triggering it with different invocation IDs?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I job might have already started but the status still shows that its not running. Might be a delay in updating the RT_STATUSnnn file. Try clearing the status from the director, clearing the &PH& folder will also help in quicker response times.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A 5 minute delay in updating status or the log? :shock:

How about my 'thought' that seems to have been completely ignored? Did you check for a 'before job' activity in JobA? Get that card off the table if it isn't a factor.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Craig, even for a before-job activity, doesnt the job start first and then kick off the before job acitivity. It still shows the status as Running even though the before job activity is running.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, it does - but what shows in the Monitor can be confusing and can make it look like 'nothing is running'.

BTW, the OP has never explained exactly what this means or how they are measuring this 'delay':
yaminids wrote:The problem is, job A is not getting triggered immediatley after the tool triggers seqA job. Somehow job A is waiting for few minutes before starting
Oh, sure, there's been the oh so typical chatter back and forth between us girls postulating like mad - but no clarification from the OP. :P
-craig

yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Ray,

The following is the information from the log

Sequence log:
Starting Job MMI002PSeq.
$PR_DSN = XXXXXXX
$PR_USERID = XXXXXXXX
$PR_PASSWORD = ********
$MM_DSN_ORA = XXXXXX [$PROJDEF]
$MM_DSN = XXXXXX [$PROJDEF]
$MM_USERID = [$PROJDEF]
$MM_PASSWORD = [$PROJDEF]
$NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 [$PROJDEF]
$DS_Q_AUDIT = AUDIT_IN [$PROJDEF]
$DS_Q_MGR = XXXXXX [$PROJDEF]
pAppId = MM
pSubAppId = PR
pIntfName = MMRI002
pRunId = 2
$MM_DSN_PL = RPTMCM [$PROJDEF]
$MM_USERID_PL = DS_MCMBGWIP [$PROJDEF]
$MM_PASSWORD_L = ********
pSRCDB = BM

Job log:
Starting Job MMRI002.
$PR_DSN = XXXXX
$PR_USERID = XXXXX
$PR_PASSWORD = ********
$MM_DSN = XXXXXXX
$MM_USERID XXXXXXX
$MM_PASSWORD = XXXXXX
$NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8
pSRCDB = BM
DSJobController = MMI002PSeq

I have noticed that the job was not running when one of the sequences was trying to trigger it.

Craig,
Sorry for not gettting back to the post as I was away from work. Anyway, the job doesn't have any 'before job' activity

I am measuring the delay by comparing the start time of the Sequence to the start time of the job

Any thoughts friends?
Yamini
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What are the timestamps on the two "starting job" log events?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What happens when you trigger the JobSeqA manually (without being scheduling). How many other jobs were triggered parallely by the Sequence?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'