lookup on hash file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dr46014
Participant

lookup on hash file

Post by dr46014 »

hi
i have approximately 10000 records in a hash file and i am doing a look up on this hash file for populating the target tables.i am getting update for the hash file every 15days.so how can i refesh my hash file so that look up will be effective.i dont want to use ODBC for look up
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Build the hashed file again. This way it will be refreshed by the most currect records.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
dr46014
Participant

Post by dr46014 »

ok thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Enable write cache when (re-)populating your hashed file. It makes a notable difference.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

Ray, When you said "Enable write cache"
Does that mean check the "Allow stage write cache"

Also in a hashed file when do you use - Pre-loadfile to memory?
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Dsnew wrote:Ray, When you said "Enable write cache"
Does that mean check the "Allow stage write cache"

Also in a hashed file when do you use - Pre-loadfile to memory?
1. Yes.

2. You pre-load a hashed file to memory when the size of the hashed file is low and it greatly improves the performance of a lookup since the hashed file will be in memory and disk I/O is avoided.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

Thanks for the info, Naveen :D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. Yes
2. Yes, unless updating the same hashed file in the same job. In which case disable both write and read cache (since they're separate caches). If the hashed file is tiny (say less than 10 groups) I probably wouldn't bother with read cache either, as its pages are likely to be memory resident in any case.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.