Debugging in Ascential

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpr196
Participant

Debugging in Ascential

Post by jpr196 »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any ways to view more detailed information about an aborted job than using director and looking at the log file. For some of our delivered mappings that fail, all we get is a job aborted message and nothing else to really indicate what the problem might be. I was hoping to gather some more information about the job if there are means to doing this.

Thanks in advance for the help.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Yes this website. :P
Jokes apart, what exact message were you referring too. I doubt any error message that the DSEngine can produce, has not been discussed here. Usually there are surrounding warning messages that aid in understanding the fatal message.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

DSguru2B wrote:Yes this website. :P
Jokes apart, what exact message were you referring too. I doubt any error message that the DSEngine can produce, has not been discussed here. Usually there are surrounding warn ...
Ha...yeah you're right...This would be the first place i'd come if I had some kind of warning or error to run with. However, the only warning in the log is an abnormal termination of the DRS Target Stage and then a warning saying the job aborted. Anyway, the more detailed log information is just something I was wondering about to make our lives here a bit easier. No big deal, thanks though.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you tried Resetting (not recompiling) the job via the Director? Sometimes that will get you a 'From previous run...' log message and it can have additional (as in helpful) information.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

jpr196 wrote: However, the only warning in the log is an abnormal termination of the DRS Target Stage and then a warning saying the job aborted.
Since you are writing into a Database, does the job terminate after loading a few records?
Or does it fail doing nothing?

If you could provide more design/behavior info on your job, then may be more mysteries can be unearthed. :?

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

chulett wrote:Have you tried Resetting (not recompiling) the job via the Director? Sometimes that will get you a 'From previous run...' log message and it can have additional (as in helpful) information.
Hi, yes I tried to reset the job in director but it didn't give me anymore information. Also, the job appears to load successfully until the ipc before the target table. Then it fails when trying to load the target table, so I don't believe any rows are being populated.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

what is your job design. What if you replace the IPC stage with sequential file stage or just get rid of the IPC stage?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

Hey, Thanks for the help guys. Can't say we really found the error, but it was something to do with the target table's metadata. When we reimported the table structure, the job ran fine.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Ahah, Good! Since the problem is resolved. It would be nice to mark the topic as resolved.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE