access same job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kris18
Charter Member
Charter Member

access same job

Post by kris18 »

HI All,

we have a job design in which all the jobs( we have like 75 main jobs) calls the same subjob(one subjob), it works fine now because we are running it mannually. but once it goes into production does it create problem ? because we will be running them in parallel and some jobs will access the same subjob while it is been used by other.( we did parametirized the path and hash file name so that it takes different name for different job on the fly)

i was trying to analyze this problem and it came to my mind that if we try to open the job that is already opened by other person then we will get a message saying that it is accessed by other person, does the ds behave in the same way in here or it is different for the above problem??

thank you
kris
kris
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I dont think it will work. You will get an error, something like 'Job is not in the right state'. Thats why you have multi-instance capability in DataStage. To achieve exactly what you want.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You will have a problem in Production as a 'normal' job can only be run by any one given controlling process at a time. If one 'main' job has it running, any other that attempt to start it will error.

You'll need to make your job a Multi-Instance job. Search the forum if you're not familiar with that term and read the Help on the subject availble from the Director client.

Also ensure that it is designed to be run by multiple processes at the same time. For example, don't have them all write to one sequential filename or clear the same hashed file. Make sure any objects like that have unique names (typically based on the Invocation ID but can be other parameters) which is easy to accomplish.

It sounds like you've started down that path with your parameters, but it will still need to be a multi-instance job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kris18
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris18 »

Thanks guys your reply,

i will change it accordingly, one more question is that if we have a user defined routine and if we use same routine in different jobs at same time does this effect the performance of the jobs? or it creates a instance and can be accessed by any number of jobs ?

kris
kris
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Performance depends upon what your actually doing inside the routine and not upon multiple calls by different jobs. And Yes you can call it from different jobs, that would'nt/should'nt be a problem.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Hi Kris,

There shouldn't be any performance issues. You will be able to use your routine in other jobs without any problem

Sam
kris18
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris18 »

Thanks chulett,DSguru2B,Sam for the quick response

kris
kris
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You can mark the post resolved now.
kris18
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris18 »

i tried to do that but it is giving me following error

[/img]

failure: failure : error--1:15070-topic_id=105908&mark=r
kris
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »