general- server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

general- server

Post by Saama »

Hi gurus

we have a business meeting with a clinet who are using ERP- PEOPLE SOFT with datastage.

i have seen links posted by different people on the same topic and i have joined recently this forum.

reading the different forums i could grasp the environment.
As an ETL DEVELOPER they are asking me to attend the meeting.
can u tell me what areas of knowledge is required inorder to deal with ERP PACKAGE like peoplesoft.

i have read forums and gathered some knowlege.i need to ask some questions to clinet inorder to proceed the meeting.
how should i start- plz help me.

i know that this is quite different but greater challenge so iam expecting help .

cheers;
saama
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First question that jumps into my mind is - do you know if they are using the PeopleSoft PACKS with DataStage for this, or are they accessing it directly, going directly against the source database?

For direct access, then not only would you need all of the 'normal' areas of knowledg of ETL in general - but you'd also need knowledge of the database in use (Oracle, in this case) and knowledge of the specific structures, metadata and eccentricities of the application. And take it from someone who's gone down that path, PeopleSoft is not a 'simple' application and has many... 'quirks'. It was also the first Oracle application I saw where SYSADM owned all of the tables - all 30,000+ of them. :shock:

You'll also need access to SMEs - Subject Matter Experts, the people who know the guts of that ERP app and can be your Sherpa up that mountain. In general you would need help from these people, but even more so if you are going directly against the tables.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi,
THANKS VERY MUCH.
i heared that they are also using business objects as reporting tool.
i want to know how does a etl developer interact with the people who are working on reporting tool, does an etl developer have to interact with the person who is working on reporting tool.

cheers;
saama
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From what I've seen, you as an ETL developer may get sucked into the BI world if you end up needing to build marts or 'reporting tables' for them. Other than that, not so much.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kris18
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris18 »

As a datastage developer with peoplesoft you should be able to create new records in oracle (most of peoplesoft has oracle in the backend) you have to create new fields and know the delivered etl process which is given with peoplesoft package.

kris
kris