DataStage Deployment Strategy

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage Deployment Strategy

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
DataStage is a newcomer to our shop and we will be implementing our first production job in Jan 2007. The data architecture mangement team would like to create a strategy to roll out the tool for use by every application area(all accessing the same servers). My initial impression and recomendation was that development/support for the tool should be centralized to our group(DBA/ETL group). There are about 25-30 application areas in our shop and I am a bit concerned rolling it out to everyone.
Ofcourse management will do what mangement wants to do......but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experiences with rolling out the tool in their shop.

Thanks - - John
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

DataStage is no Tool like MS-Excel, which you can roll out to everybody who can calculate that 1+1 is 2.

Don't give the product to anybody who hasn't had at least a 3-day-introduction into the product. Better is a one week training.

Don't give the product to anybody who doesn't work with product at least 10 hour on average a week.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Let DBA/ETL group be the owner of the application. Other application areas can get this groups resources to get their ETL work done. This way the control remains within one group. And that group will contain junior to architecture level resources who are comfortable with the tool.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Set standards and best practices, and document them, before rollout. I agree with Wolfgang on the recipients. Require compliance with standards and practices, and punish transgressions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.