WHAT IS THE USE OF CONTAINS TERMINATORS IN SEQUENTIAL STAGE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parvathi
Participant

WHAT IS THE USE OF CONTAINS TERMINATORS IN SEQUENTIAL STAGE

Post by parvathi »

Hi all ,
I use a sequential stage between to active transformer stage and i was asked to change the contains terminators of all columns to yesin the input stage and in the output stage also all the columns contain terminators are changed to yes but fr the last column.And if i keep the last column contains terminators as yes i get the following error
"COLUMN CANNOT CONTAIN A NON QUOTED CHARACTER BECAUSE IT IS THE LAST COULMN OF A DELIMITED SEQUENTIAL FILE"

what is role of the contains terminators in the sequential file
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage uses the terminator to find the end of the line/record. If a terminator is found in any but the last column it will know that it is part of the data. But the last column cannot contain a terminator in addition to the "real" terminator because DataStage has no way of determing what type it is - the first one it comes across while parsing the last column must be the line terminator.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: WHAT IS THE USE OF CONTAINS TERMINATORS IN SEQUENTIAL ST

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

parvathi wrote: what is role of the contains terminators in the sequential file
By checking on the "contains terminator", you direct datastage to ignore any terminator which comes in a record. So you can ignore a termination character in a varchar 200 field.

otherwise, datastage will read that terminator and will try to put the data after the terminator in a new row.

As ArndW said, you cannot tell datastage that my last column may contain a terminator because it is supposed to contain one. if you have that varchar 200 as your last field, there are other ways to eliminate it.
parvathi
Participant

Re: WHAT IS THE USE OF CONTAINS TERMINATORS IN SEQUENTIAL ST

Post by parvathi »

As ArndW said, you cannot tell datastage that my last column may contain a terminator because it is supposed to contain one. if you have that varchar 200 as your last field, there are other ways to eliminate it.[/quote]

yes in this case my last column contains terminators and how should i proceed in this way because if my last column contains terminators then the vlaue will be put in the new record. and i don't want that to happen
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

What is the terminating character used in the file

Regards
Sreeni
parvathi
Participant

Post by parvathi »

if I am correct the delimiter and terminator are one and the same

the delimiter that I have specified is 001(start of heading)
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

parvathi wrote:if I am correct the delimiter and terminator are one and the same

the delimiter that I have specified is 001(start of heading)
A delimiter cannot be the same as the terminator.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

HI

I also could not understand that the terminator is same as delimited.
Its 001. Can you send a sample data.

Regards
Sreeni