creating datadictionary

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

creating datadictionary

Post by avi21st »

Hi,
how do you create data dictionary in universe.when i run the command list.dict ds_jobobjects from voc, it comes up with a error that unexpected error without filename. when i went to find information on universe, it says that one should create a datadictionary, only after creating the datadictionary we can view the list the objects in datadictionary.
am i going in the right way, if not plz correct me with the command .
And also plz let me create datadictionary.

cheers;
abhi[/b]
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you use CREATE TABLE then it will create your dictionary items for you.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Given what you're trying to do, you don't need to create a data dictionary. All of the repository tables have dictionaries, containing all the metadata that the vendor is prepared to reveal.

What you are trying to do is to hack the Repository tables, which would involve creating additional column definitions in the existing dictionaries.

Your LIST.DICT query did not work because table names are case sensitive. DS_JOBOBJECTS exists, ds_jobobjects does not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would guess that Avishek is not familiar with Universe from the comments and questions on this subject we've been seeing. Or at least not familiar enough to be attempting something of this nature. :?

Nothing against the OP at all. It's just that I for one would be reticent to just hand over answers for things like this to anyone without a plethora of caveats regarding the damage that could be done. I also think, as Ray pointed out, from reading the other posts that they came to the wrong conclusion as to what they "needed to do". As a general Rule Of Thumb I tend to worry about posts that just say "I need to do X" and always wonder about the need, which is why I tend to push back and ask the "why" behind the "what". 9 times out of 10 they really "need" something else. :wink:

Sorry, got a little preachy. [steps down off pulpit]
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers