data lineage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaykumar
Participant

data lineage

Post by vijaykumar »

hi,
how can we find data lineage , i mean is there any plug-in to find data lineage.

cheers;
vijay
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

If the metadata is defined and stored in the repository. Then you can see the lineage by doing a usage analysis on the metadata from the manager.

However, I learned that Information Server has much more powerful tool for data lineage.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
i think usage analysis just shows the interdependencies b/w 2 jobs . how can i find the impact of meta-data like if we eliminate one column or add a column, it should show the impact and lineage on the job.Do we have any plug-in stage for such analysis.

cheers;
vijay
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you loaded the table definition from the Repository into your job, or if you saved the table definition from your job into the Repository, then you can effect a Usage Analysis on that table definition. But that's an impact ("where used") analysis, not a lineage analysis.

You should undertake this BEFORE effecting metadata changes. Then effect the metadata changes and adjust all affected jobs as necessary.

There are no tools within DataStage versions earlier than 8.0 for performing lineage analysis.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijaykumar
Participant

Post by vijaykumar »

Hi,
Thanks very much,can i find usage analysis of column or metadata.

cheers;
vijay
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Columns, well, not directly, but if you select the saved table definition and do a Usage Analysis
Then you can see the references of its columns in jobs
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Usage Analysis on table definition does report at the individual column level.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.