ask me for password when trying to start up DS Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lvidalfl
Participant

ask me for password when trying to start up DS Server

Post by lvidalfl »

I'm trying to start up DataStage server on Solaris 9 using the command uv -admin -start but the script ask me for the 'dsadm' password, I know this is no suppose to happend but I don't know what is going on, does any body know any reason why this might happen?

Is it possible to be a file permission issue?

Thanks.[/b]
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's only not supposed to happen if you are logged in as dsadm when issuing this command... are you?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lvidalfl
Participant

Post by lvidalfl »

chulett wrote:It's only not supposed to happen if you are logged in as dsadm when issuing this command... are you?
Yes, i'm logged in as 'dsadm' when i'm trying to start up DataStage server, this user belongs to 'dstage' group.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, had to ask. And you said in your other thread you did a root install, yes? Hmm... nothing helpful to add other than the nagging suspicion that I've read about this issue before on the Solaris platform.

Anyone?
-craig

lvidalfl
Participant

Post by lvidalfl »

chulett wrote:Sorry, had to ask. And you said in your other thread you did a root install, yes? Hmm... nothing helpful to add other than the nagging suspicion that I've read about this issue before on the Solaris platform.

Anyone?
I already bypass this error by reinstalling DataStage server being 'dsadm' with Impersonation mode disabled, now I start DStage and it doesn't ask me for the 'dsadm' password when I bring up the services with the 'uv' command. when I bring down DStage server now everything goes fine, I have no more shared memory segment errors. I still think it's a file/resource permission issue.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or a Solaris thing. No such shenanigans required on H-PUX. Glad you got it worked out. :D
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As noted in the other post, it may be the permissions on the uv executable. Once you answer the question there, we'll have a better idea.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
daniel0623
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by daniel0623 »

Hi all,

I also met same issue.
Formerly I can start datastage without inputting password.
Now it required password when I started datastage as dsadm.

Which reasons may cause this issue?
Thanks for any help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What has changed? "Nothing" is not the correct answer.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
daniel0623
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by daniel0623 »

thanks ,ray.
I found root cause.
The root cause is someone ran command: chmod -R 777 $DSHOME.
I think reinstallation can resolve this issue.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a script called something like DSEresetperms in the DSEngine directory (in one of its subdirectories) that you may find a simpler solution.
Some of the executables, in $DSHOME/bin particularly, have very specific permissions requirements - they must have the setuid bit set and be owned by root.