What is the importance of $ character in datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parvathi
Participant

What is the importance of $ character in datastage

Post by parvathi »

Hi,
Can anybody tell the importance of the $ character and where we use it and how we use it.?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Only when handling money. :wink:

Seriously, you need to put a little more context into this question - where have you seen mention of the $ character? That would help drive an appropriate answer.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
parvathi
Participant

Post by parvathi »

$INCLUDE DSINCLUDE SAMP.H

this wasthe first line that was given in the routine that i saw.
I want to know the purpouse of this line.

My aim is to run the shellscript through the datastage routine activity

I wanted to knw whether this is required
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The $ isn't the keyword, "$INCLUDE" is. This is a compile-time switch to include source from another file, in this case "SAMP.H" in "DSINCLUDE". Your code probably will not compile without it. You can read up on $INCLUDE and $INSERT in the DataStage BASIC Programmers Guide
parvathi
Participant

Post by parvathi »

where will the "DSINCLUDE" be present ?
can i go and see the file SAMP.H AND its contents because i don't what was written in it
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It so happens that DSINCLUDE is the include file that DataStage uses, it is a subdirectory called "dsinclude" in the project directory. SAMP.H is a file in that directory and you can look at it.

n.b. I think that it is bad practice to put user defined include files into DSINCLUDE as they might be overwritten when upgrading or changing versions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

SAMP.H is unlikely to be a shell script. The routine that contains the $INCLUDE command is definitely not a shell script - it's a DataStage routine.

You can log in to your server, cd to the project directory, cd to the DSINCLUDE subdirectory, and view SAMP.H there with any text viewer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
parvathi
Participant

Post by parvathi »

thanks all i came to know that it is a datastage library file
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It is a DataStage BASIC header include file; I've never heard the term "library file" used for this. Just keep in mind that this is a user-written header, not one supplied as part of the package.