When is a NULL not a NULL?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

When is a NULL not a NULL?

Post by ShaneMuir »

Hi All

Weird things are a foot - or at least I think that they are weird.

I have a job which reads an input XML file and extracts several Seq files.

Subsequent jobs then process these sequential files. So far so good.

However I have a situation where a record in the XML file does not come with a particular value so this value is set to NULL. This is what should happen. The subsequent job then takes the sequential file with the NULL value and loads it into and Oracle DB using OCI stage.

Now the fun part - the NULL value is part of the key and the in the DB the column is set to not accept null values. Yet when I view the record it shows no data. I did a select length(fieldname) on the offending record and it came back with a length of 1 - clearly not empty. So I tried to find out the ascii value of the character by using select Ascii(fieldname) and it comes back with 0 which as far as I know is NULL? :?

This is reinforced as another job then reads that table with the "NULL" value and tries to insert it elsewhere and it is rejected for being NULL. :shock:

Does any of this make sense? Does anybody know of a way of determining what the offending value is, preferably via some oracle command ... the temporary sequential files are long gone.

Any help is appreciated.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: When is a NULL not a NULL?

Post by narasimha »

ShaneMuir wrote:Does anybody know of a way of determining what the offending value is, preferably via some oracle command ...
If you want to check if a particular column is NULL in Oracle, do the following
Say you need to check if ColumnA is NULL

Code: Select all

Select dump(ColumnA) from TableA;
If actually null you get the result as NULL,
If you have a 'NULL' string you get result like 'Typ=1 Len=4: 78,85,76,76'
If you have a space you get result like 'Typ=1 Len=1: 32'

Hope that helps!
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
aakashahuja
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by aakashahuja »

You are getting the length of the NULL column as 1 because, databases often consume 1 byte to store each NULL value.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Char(0) is not NULL, it is NUL. It is a valid character from Control Set 0.

NULL is "the value that means unknown" and is different in different databases. Internally in DataStage it is represented using Char(128). When reading/writing sequential files you specify how NULL is represented.

Len(Char(0)) returns 1.
Len(@NULL) returns 0, which is sometimes a useful fact.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ShaneMuir »

ray.wurlod wrote:Char(0) is not NULL, it is NUL. It is a valid character from Control Set 0.
ray.wurlod wrote: When reading/writing sequential files you specify how NULL is represented.
Ok then - now for my next question. How did this NUL value end up in the data. It wasn't parsed in the XML (there was no value for this field) so the XMLInput stage should have replaced that value with a SQL NULL. (As the "Replace empty values with NULLs" is selected).

In all target/source sequential stages, on the format tab the Default NULL string field remains empty as does the NULL string column on the columns tab.
So somewhere this NUL value has magically appeared. Quite obviously I have missed something. :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maybe the "Replace empty value with NULL" should read "Replace empty value with NUL"? Please continue to investigate, and share your results. If nothing else you will create the reproducible cases demanded by IBM support.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ShaneMuir »

ray.wurlod wrote:Maybe the "Replace empty value with NULL" should read "Replace empty value with NUL"? Please continue to investigate, and share your results. If nothing else you will create the reproducible cases demanded by IBM support.
Ok A bit more digging and testing and I have more information.

I have found the job where the NULL vs NUL is occurring. The job has the following structure:

Code: Select all

SeqFile ---> Trf1 ---> HashFile ----> Trf2 ---- DB
Points to Note
  • 1. The HashFile Stage actually takes 2 inputs from Transfrom1, one for header, one for transaction. The key for the hash file is made up of 4 fields. The field containing the null value is one of these key fields.
    2. The output from the hash file is actually 1 stream (Header) and 2 reference (transaction depending on type).
    3. No transformation is done on the field containing the null value. It is parsed as is.
To test the values I changed the job to write to to a sequential file after Trf1 and Trf2 and set the output of the offending field to seq(field).
The sequential files had the following results:
From Trf1: Field = NULL - ie null was returned so obvioiusly the value parsed was NULL. I also did another test for If isNull(field) then 'NULL' else 'Not NULL' and the value returned was 'NULL'
From Trf2: Field = 128 - the value read from the hash file was char(128) which is SQLNULL (according to the conversion table)

When loaded into the Oracle DB it seems that the char(128) is interpreted as char(0)?

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is normal behaviour? Especially around the operation of the Hash file, as I thought that a NULL value could not be part of the hash key. It looks like NULL is inserted into that key field, but this field is then read out as char(128). Does this sound right?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Given that 128 is 10000000 in binary it may be that Oracle, set to use ASCII (which, technically, is a seven-bit encoding) ignores the high-order bit. I'm just guessing here, of course.
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ShaneMuir »

ray.wurlod wrote:Given that 128 is 10000000 in binary it may be that Oracle, set to use ASCII (which, technically, is a seven-bit encoding) ignores the high-order bit. I'm just guessing here, of course.
Actually I am more interested in the treatment of a NULL in a HashFile where that NULL is part of the key. Will this be interpreted as a @NULL.STR when entered as opposed to null?
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ShaneMuir »

ShaneMuir wrote:Actually I am more interested in the treatment of a NULL in a HashFile where that NULL is part of the key. Will this be interpreted as a @NULL.STR when entered as opposed to null?
After trawling the forum - I think I have found part of my answer.
I always thought that you couldn't enter NULL into a key field in a hash file, put other posts suggest that you can when it is part of a composite key? According to documentation, the internal representation of NULL is char(128) or @NULL.STR, so I am assuming that in the Hash File it would be stored as char(128)? This seems to be confirmed as when i read the hash file to a sequential file and using the seq function it returns 128.

The weird part is that when loaded it becomes char(0).
And why does it only do this on key fields? I have plenty of other non key fields with null values read from the hash file and these are NULL :?: