Oracle OCI Load stage for Ora 9?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nkln@you »

How do you transfer files? Seriously? How would you do it if you didn't have DataStage? There's your answer.
I dont think you understood me. I meant how will you transfer the dat files from DS server to Oracle server?
And lastly, you should use sqlldr. No stage.
SO you mean i should create my own data file using the SqlLdr? And then load the table using ctl file. But then there wont be any need of datastage then. i mean you can do all this in a batch job. Please Correct me if i am wrong.
Aim high
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, I understood just fine. What I don't understand is the confusion over 'transferring' files. Again, if you needed to copy a file from the one machine to another, how would you do it? That's what you would do here - no magic, no special stage involved, just a simple file transfer: ftp, scp, whatever mechanism you prefer.

You asked what you should use to load 10 million records, I suggested 'sqlldr'. Sqlldr does not create data files nor did I imply that it did. DataStage creates both the file to be loaded (the .dat file) and the file that tells sqlldr how to load it (the .ctl file) and then you use sqlldr to do the actual work. Your 'batch job' or script can do the file transfer (again, not needed) and the invocation of the sqlldr command.

And people really don't need to add 'Please correct me if I'm wrong' to their posts... don't worry, someone will. :twisted:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

It is not mandatory to transfer the files to the oracle server.
But if you had to, do a ftp or scp.

Later you can use sqlldr to load the table using the .dat and .ctl file.

You are right you can do all this without any involvement of Datastage if you wanted.

Edited to add: Guess I took a long time to type
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nkln@you »

You asked what you should use to load 10 million records, I suggested 'sqlldr'. Sqlldr does not create data files nor did I imply that it did. DataStage creates both the file to be loaded (the .dat file) and the file that tells sqlldr how to load it (the .ctl file) and then you use sqlldr to do the actual work. Your 'batch job' or script can do the file transfer (again, not needed) and the invocation of the sqlldr command.
What i meant is Should i create the dat file using a seq. file stage and write my own control file Or use the Ora 7 Bulk or Ora Oci Load(manual) stage to create the dat file?
Aim high
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Whichever you prefer... either of the first or last choices are valid approaches. I haven't used the 'Ora 7 bulk loader' so can't comment on that. Besides, there's a '7' in it. :P
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers