Sorting and %CP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sorting and %CP

Post by asitagrawal »

Hi Friends,

My Job uses a Lik Partitioner, partitioning into 4 liks and each llink goes into a sort stage and the they are collected in a Link Collector.
int the job Monitior I get %CP as higlhlighted in the imgae.
I am running it on a Siblge Processor System, so with respect to this, plz interpret the %CP as in the image.

http://asit.agrawal.googlepages.com/Sort.jpg

How can a single processor give me 96% twice?' or is my understanding is wrong somewhere..plz correct it...

Thx.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sorting is heavy duty activity, as anyone who has even been given the task of sorting a deck of playing cards can attest. It WILL consume your CPU resources.

The figure reported is (CPU seconds / clock seconds) for each process in question. That is, each Transformer stage is reporting what proportion of the time it spent using the CPU. These figures suffer from a couple of roundings - for example the clock seconds are rounded to whole seconds - so should be treated warily for small samples. In your case, with over 10000 rows per partition, you do not have a small sample.

What partitioning algorithm are you using in the Link Collector? (That is, are you discarding the results of the sort?)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.