Error in filter command of the sequential stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parvathi
Participant

Error in filter command of the sequential stage

Post by parvathi »

Hi all
I want to zip the file and pass it to the remote server
can i use a seqentail stage to zip the file and then use ftp stage
to pass it to the remote server.

In the stage properties of the sequential file i have given in the stage uses named pipes and in the inputs i gave "zip ptest ptest.csv" as the filter command
then i got the following error

sampftp..Sequential_File_13.DSLink18: ds_seqopen() - Error in filter command "/usr/bin/zip ptest ptest.csv" -
zip warning: name not matched:

Can anybody tell me the purpose of filtercommand the procedure to use it
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Error in filter command of the sequential stage

Post by chulett »

parvathi wrote:can i use a seqentail stage to zip the file and then use ftp stage to pass it to the remote server.
Nope. Script it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
parvathi
Participant

Post by parvathi »

chulett wrote

Code: Select all

Script it.

By scripting does it mean to write shell script that can be be used in the filter command or to do separately outside
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't use the Filter option to zip a file because it's all about reading 'standard out' of the filter command into the stage as a file. You can't use the FTP stage to send a zipped file because it is metadata driven.

Separately. Outside.

ps. 'Reply with quote' work better than hand-typing and code tags. FYI. :wink:
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Now, that doesn't mean a DataStage job can't run the script. A Sequence job with an Execute Command stage comes to mind. Or 'after job' in the job that creates whatever needs to be zipped using ExecSH. Or via hand-crafted job control. Or...
-craig

parvathi
Participant

Post by parvathi »

chulett wrote: Or via hand-crafted job control. Or...
i know the options mentioned can you please tell me what is hand-crafted job control
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Just mean BASIC job control code that you write. You can do that under the Job Control tab of the Job Properties in a Server job and not put any stages (other than annotations) on the actual job canvas. Or go old school and create a "Batch::" from the Director, which is kind of like the job control tab mentioned earlier with no attached canvas.

Then you build command strings, use the DSExecute function, log your own messages, launch jobs, all kinds of fun things - much like you would do in a custom routine... only it is a job. Check out the Job Control tab in any of your Sequence jobs for examples. :shock: :lol:
-craig