DS Hashed File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

DS Hashed File

Post by Lavanya Srinivasan »

Dear Experts,

I have started leaning about the different stages of DS. I have few queries regarding hashed file stage.
  • 1. What are the possible situations, where we can use hashed file stage?
    2. What should be the input file type for a hashed file stage? (Whether xml? text?)
    3. In what format will we be getting the output file?
    4. Also, I have learnt that hashed file stage can be used as a lookup file. How?
    5. Could anybody please explain the application of a hashed file with the help of a simple DS job example/demo?
Can you please help?

Many Thanks
Lavanya
tagnihotri
Participant

Re: DS Hashed File

Post by tagnihotri »

Lavanya,

I belive as a start you should read the DS pdf, which will answer all your querries!
Lavanya Srinivasan wrote:Dear Experts,

I have started leaning about the different stages of DS. I have few queries regarding hashed file stage.
  • 1. What are the possible situations, where we can use hashed file stage?
    2. What should be the input file type for a hashed file stage? (Whether xml? text?)
    3. In what format will we be getting the output file?
    4. Also, I have learnt that hashed file stage can be used as a lookup file. How?
    5. Could anybody please explain the application of a hashed file with the help of a simple DS job example/demo?
Can you please help?

Many Thanks
Lavanya
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Search on this forum can also answer your questions.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DS Hashed File

Post by DeepakCorning »

DS Help Files , Search on this forum and plus there is a Article written by Ray on the newsletter of this forum which will help you understand the Hashed File better.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, Ken Bland wrote the article you are thinking of.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Bingo..sorry for the confusion....Yes it was Ken and not Ray.
tagnihotri
Participant

Post by tagnihotri »

Infact if you have links in ascential oops sorry IBM, they have a very good presentation on Hash Files.

I am sure which will ans all your querries here!
DeepakCorning wrote:Bingo..sorry for the confusion....Yes it was Ken and not Ray.
Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

Dear tagnihotri(as mentioned in the reply msg) and other good hearted experts,

Thank you very much for your help. In his msg, "Tag" has mentioned,
"I belive as a start you should read the DS pdf, which will answer all your querries!
Infact if you have links in ascential oops sorry IBM, they have a very good presentation on Hash Files. "
Could you please let me know the URLs for DS pdf and IBM presentation files? Thank you very much for you big help.

Kind Regards,

Lavanya

[/quote]
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do I recall that you don't actually have the DataStage software? That's going to make your quest a little... difficult. :?

Check the archives here for the Newsletters the site puts out periodically, one has an excellent overview of hashed files written by our fan favorite poster Ken Bland.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tagnihotri
Participant

Post by tagnihotri »

Lavanya,

If you are not able to get the suggested docs, let me know your mail id (you can send me message) will send them across to you!

Lavanya Srinivasan wrote:Dear tagnihotri(as mentioned in the reply msg) and other good hearted experts,

Thank you very much for your help. In his msg, "Tag" has mentioned,
"I belive as a start you should read the DS pdf, which will answer all your querries!
Infact if you have links in ascential oops sorry IBM, they have a very good presentation on Hash Files. "
Could you please let me know the URLs for DS pdf and IBM presentation files? Thank you very much for you big help.

Kind Regards,

Lavanya
[/quote]
Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

Dear chulett,
Do I recall that you don't actually have the DataStage software? That's going to make your quest a little... difficult. Confused

Check the archives here for the Newsletters the site puts out periodically, one has an excellent overview of hashed files written by our fan favorite poster Ken Bland.
Yes you are right. I am the same person. Sure I will do that.

Many Thanks
Lavanya
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Oops, Sorry for hijacking the thread, but will Hawk turn Hashed files into an extinct species? What happens to the underlying UV engine in Hawk?
saikir
Participant

Post by saikir »

Hey,

Hash Files can be used for various purposes. If you are beginer. one primary purpose of a hash file is to use it as a look up table. Consider the following scenario:

- You have to load data into a fact table with valid customers. All the valid customers are present in some table

So every time you do a load into the fact table you do a look up against the customer hash file(that can be loaded from a customer table).

By doing this you are ensuring that onlu valid customers are present in the fact
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Server jobs (and therefore hashed files) are fully supported in version 8.0.

The principal difference for server job developers is that the repository is no longer stored in hashed files, but in a separate database, which is the unified repository for all IBM Information Server products. Metadata are moved to and from this repository by a metadata delivery service; however this is completely transparent to the DataStage developer. The design canvas and Director work almost exactly as before (the differences are the added new stuff, and a new appearance - especially at the top of the screen).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.