DS Hashed File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

DS Hashed File

Post by Lavanya Srinivasan »

Dear Experts,

I have started leaning about the different stages of DS. I have few queries regarding hashed file stage.
  • 1. What are the possible situations, where we can use hashed file stage?
    2. What should be the input file type for a hashed file stage? (Whether xml? text?)
    3. In what format will we be getting the output file?
    4. Also, I have learnt that hashed file stage can be used as a lookup file. How?
    5. Could anybody please explain the application of a hashed file with the help of a simple DS job example/demo?
Can you please help?

Many Thanks
Lavanya
Prashantoncyber
Participant

Post by Prashantoncyber »

Hi Lavanya,

No body can give answers to your Q like this.
I will suggest you try to build the jobs based upon the scenarios asked in your own Q and see what happens.
We can help if you come across any problem while doing so...by posting error msg etc.
Also refer manuals and search this forum.
Definitely, it will be challenging and exciting as well and you will learn more than what you have asked.

Thanks
Last edited by Prashantoncyber on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jothy Ganesan
Participant

Post by Jothy Ganesan »

It is always better to[i] atleast [/i]TRY something before we put forth a question..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Think of a hashed file as a local database table that is very fast for key-based access. The answers to all your questions should flow from that thought. Any database stage can feed a reference input link to a Transformer stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Duplicate post...
tagnihotri
Participant

Re: DS Hashed File

Post by tagnihotri »

Lavanya,

Can you please delete the duplicate post or request the moderator to do the same.

Lavanya Srinivasan wrote:Dear Experts,

I have started leaning about the different stages of DS. I have few queries regarding hashed file stage.
  • 1. What are the possible situations, where we can use hashed file stage?
    2. What should be the input file type for a hashed file stage? (Whether xml? text?)
    3. In what format will we be getting the output file?
    4. Also, I have learnt that hashed file stage can be used as a lookup file. How?
    5. Could anybody please explain the application of a hashed file with the help of a simple DS job example/demo?
Can you please help?

Many Thanks
Lavanya
suresh.narasimha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hashed File Stage

Post by suresh.narasimha »

Lavanya,

Hashed file(HF) stage acts like a database table.

You can use HF for eliminating duplicates, use as reference link, stream link ...

But using HF as a lookup stage has its own limitation to its volume of data.

In a 32 bit machine HF can grow to a maximum of 2GB and in a 64 bit machine it can still grow large.

Think how will you handle that situation ??

Know how the hashed file will store the data and how it grows and difference between a static and dynamic HFs

Regards
Suresh N
SURESH NARASIMHA
Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

Hi Prashant & Jothy,

I understand you have a keyboard with you. It is not that you can just blindly type something and send this as a reply to others.
Prashantoncyber

Hi Lavanya,

I will suggest you try to build the jobs based upon the scenarios asked in your own Q and see what happens.
We can help if you come across any problem while doing so...by posting error msg etc.
Definitely, it will be challenging and exciting as well and you will learn more than what you have asked.

Thanks
Jothy Ganesan
It is always better to atleast TRY something before we put forth a question..
My questions are valid.
Both of you please be informed that this forum is for knowledge sharing. If you do not know the answer then you don't have to strain yourself. Better keep quite. Mind your words before posting a reply to somebody.

Lavanya
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

:?
Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

:)
Last edited by Lavanya Srinivasan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lavanya Srinivasan
Participant

Requested Editor to delete this topic

Dear Experts,

I tried to delete this topic as this topic has been submitted twice accidentally. But I could not do that. Therefore, I have informed the editor (as I do not know moderators contact info in order to report this issue) and requested him to delete this topic.
Duplicate post...
Lavanya,

Can you please delete the duplicate post or request the moderator to do the same.
Before that, I sincerely thank Suresh for his valuable reply. This helps me a lot. Also, I have made a note of all your precious replies. Many thanks to all.

Sorry for the confusion caused. Please bear with me.

Lavanya
RajaUsa75
Participant

Post by RajaUsa75 »

It is highly irresponsible to post such replies in a porfessional forum like DSXCHANGE.

Mods, please remove these replies from the thread to maintain the high standards of our Forum.
Lavanya Srinivasan wrote:Hi Prashant & Jothy,

I understand you have a keyboard with you. It is not that you can just blindly type something and send this as a reply to others.
Prashantoncyber

Hi Lavanya,

Thanks
Jothy Ganesan
It is always better to atleast TRY something before we put forth a question..
My questions are valid.
Both of you please be informed that this forum is for knowledge sharing. If you do not know the answer then you don't have to strain yourself. Better keep quite. Mind your words before posting a reply to somebody.

Lavanya