Deleting Projects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpr196
Participant

Deleting Projects

Post by jpr196 »

Hi,

We've had a problem deleting a project using dsadm through adminstrator. Other projects have deleted fine, but one project won't delete, saying there's a user still attached to it. Last week, we reset everything and it is still an issue. Anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives to get rid of the project? I was thinking of deleting it through the unix server, would this work?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Please explain what you mean by "reset everything". Does this include restarting DataStage, restarting the operating system, what?
Have you used a netstat command to determine whether any DataStage processes are still connected?

It might be a good idea to telnet to the server and see whether you can cd to the project directory. If you can (and you've executed the dsenv script) can you enter the DataStage environment there?

It is NOT a good plan to delete from the UNIX level, unless you are then willing to clean out pertinent entries from the system tables that record the existence and structure of the project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

Sorry, should have been more clear. We reset the datastage server and then the unix server. I didn't actually administer this last week, but the person who did said he saw a zombie process and killed it, then went through the motions of resetting the servers.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Well there is either a phontom process or lock still active against this Project. So ps -ef | grep -I pha to determine if any phantom Server Jobs are running plus perform a unlock all against this Project.
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

I took your advice and this is the results:
Cache Segments : 0 active
User Segments : 0 active

I decided to try and restart the DataStage Server to see if that would help and I got an error:

Unable to remove the following shared memory segment(s) during shutdown:
m 1020264485 0xadec7511 --rw-rw-rw- root system 1745056 2990234
1 error(s) encountered during shutdown procedure.

Does this mean there is still a phantom process lingering? Also, if that is so, any advice as to terminate that process would be appreciated. Sorry, I don't have alot of experience administering DataStage on the server so please bear with me.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

No it means you previously brought down DS and restarted incorrectly so you now have more than one shared memory segment which is not good and away from this deleteing Project issue....

So bring DS doen or stop it and then have your Unix Admin (root) do the following:

ipcs | grep ade
ipcrm -m {shared memory id}

Then restart DS....Now I'm out of ideas on deleting Project except did you create personal directories in the Project away from the DS created ones? If so delete them and then delete the Project.....Also, I did not hear you say to did an UNLOCK ALL....do it....
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

trokosz wrote:No it means you previously brought down DS and restarted incorrectly so you now have more than one shared memory segment which is not good and away from this deleteing Project issue....

So bring DS doen or stop it and then have your Unix Admin (root) do the following:

ipcs | grep ade
ipcrm -m {shared memory id}

Then restart DS....Now I'm out of ideas on deleting Project except did you create personal directories in the Project away from the DS created ones? If so delete them and then delete the Project.....Also, I did not hear you say to did an UNLOCK ALL....do it....
Thanks for your help. I will have DS brought down in the morning. Also, regarding the Project. I don't think I have the UNLOCK ALL privelege as I tried $DSHOME/bin/uvsh and then unlock all and it came back with unknown command.

EDIT: Did a quick search and found what I need to do to use the unlock command.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

well use dssh and not uvsh and do a DSTOOLS....search here for that....
jpr196
Participant

Post by jpr196 »

I was able to finally release the locks and voila..the project was deleted easily. Thanks for all the help.