Problem related to job abort and exit

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Das
Participant

Problem related to job abort and exit

Post by Das »

Hi Friends,

I have a problem as follows .Please help.

I have a job and in transformer stage i am calling a USER DEFINED routine , if a particular condition occurs then call DSLogWarn
i think i will abort the job and need a reset to run the job again.

so..How can i avoid the job abort and performs a normal exit and can i reset the job using any datastage mechanisams.
Thanks in advance...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Call DSLogWarn() will not abort your job, a call to DSLogFatal() will. In your job settings you might be defaulting to make the job abort after 50 warnings; once you reach that number your job will also abort. You can change this value, but it is much better to ensure that you don't generate those warnings.
Das
Participant

Post by Das »

Thanks

If I increase the warning level from 50 to 100or 1000 ..is it effect the performance or any other parameters related to that particular job.

Please replay....
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It does not affect the performace directly, but yes, there are case where the warning will be generated for each row, which may be millions together, which makes the log file to grow very huge. Which may again lead to project directory to run out of space. Which inturn may affect all other project in that node.
So better to design a job without warning. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Das
Participant

Post by Das »

Thanks...

Please suggest a solution to the above problem with out using DSLogWarn function
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can reset the job, either by JobSequence or thorough routine. It depend on the way you call the job.
But what is the situaion you want to do this?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Das
Participant

Post by Das »

Hi

I have 10 files of the same type.If any problem with the one of the file the whole job will get aborted..Actually i want to continue with other records which have no problems....so i used DSLogWarn and continue with other files..
If the execes of the warning message may create any probs ..what will be the solution...

Please reply.
Thanks...
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Is it a Multiple instance job, reading all the files. What the problem you are expecting? If it is related to the layout mismatch and if you are sure that the number of records that turns out odd will be in manageble number, its better to give out as warning. Else there may be a case where it might be ignored when job finishes without any warn.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Das,

Resetting depdends on the way you are calling the job for these 10 files.

How are you calling this job for 10 files? If you are calling through a job sequence, then for that job activity just set the run mode to Reset if required, and run.

There are many options available for resetting like using job activity in job sequence, unix script, DS basic script or routine.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.