Separating Projects onto different Servers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sfennal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Separating Projects onto different Servers

Post by sfennal »

Hello,
My company is finally upgrading from DS 4.2.1 to DS 7.5.1 Server Edition (Yes, we grunts really wanted Enterprise but so be it). With this new install we would like to have DEV/QA on one server and PROD on another server.
Is this possible with the Server Edition ? or
Can you only separate projects to different servers in Enterprise Edition ?

If you can separate them do all of the underlying install directories have to have the same paths on both servers ?

Thanks !

SF
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can use as many servers as you like, but will need to buy a separate licence for each unless you own an special "enterprise" licence (not the same as Enterprise edition, but one that allows up to 999 CPUs over one or more machines). Contact your vendors; they will be more than happy to hear from you!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sfennal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sfennal »

ray.wurlod wrote:You can use as many servers as you like, but will need to buy a separate licence for each unless you own an special "enterprise" licence (not the same as Enterprise edition, but one that allows up to 999 CPUs over one or more machines). Contact your vendors; they will be more than happy to hear from you!
Ah, I'm sure they will $$$.

Do the underlying directories for DEV/QA and PROD have to have the same exact paths for Import/Export between the two servers ?

Thanks Ray
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

No. Project name and location are irrelevant. When you generate a .dsx file the only thing that carries over is the Folder/Category name. You'll be fine.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
sfennal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sfennal »

kcbland wrote:No. Project name and location are irrelevant. When you generate a .dsx file the only thing that carries over is the Folder/Category name. You'll be fine.
Thanks KB !

Are there any issues as far as permissions that I need to keep in mind ?

Thanks

SF
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

Are there any issues as far as permissions that I need to keep in mind ?
We run Dev/SIT/QA/Prod on their own servers. In QA and Prod we create the projects as Protected so that jobs cannot be modified and compiled.
No special permissions (Unix) other than what is recommended for normal installations.
For DataStage permissions we give a change control group "Production Manager" access. All imports are done by that group. I am not sure you want to go to that level of control. It does have it's advantages and disadvantages.
We are running server and parallel jobs.
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

For development, it's good to use umask of 002, because you have so many developers. However, in the QA and Prod environments, you may consider only running under a select userid, therefore, consider using umask of 077 to tightly restrict access.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle