return code from DSU.ExecSH

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

altruist
Participant

return code from DSU.ExecSH

Post by altruist »

Hi,

If we used the following code in routine

Code: Select all

EARLIER Statements
Call DSU.ExecSH(UnixCmd, ErrCode)
     If ErrCode <> 0
        Then Call DSLogFatal("failed.", rtnName)
NEXT Statements

Will the ErrCode check wait for the unix command to be completely executed i.e for example if i have issued a copy command, which may say take 10 secs. Then will the code come to the ErrCode check and wait there until the UnixCmd is successfully executed or checks only for immediate failure of the UnixCmd.

I need to know this because in the NEXT Statements I want to immediately use one of the files which was obtained as a result of UnixCmd
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you execute a UNIX "cp" command from within a ExecSH() call the control will not return to DataStage until the command completes. The ErroCode that is returned is the UNIX error code. Are you planning on executing the "cp" command(s) as background process in your shell? That would be a different matter entirely.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Source code for ExecSH is in the Routines branch of your repository. Take a look at it. This will ease your concerns and prove what Arnd advised is correct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.