Parameter Question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameter Question

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
I am in the process of rolling out our first DataStage project from Dev to QA. In the administrator I define a set of parameters with defaults and imprted them into the various jobs that needed them.
When I created the project in QA I updated the defaults for the parameters(in Administrator) but when executing the jobs in QA, the original defaults are present(from dev).
Looks like I am doing something wrong.....any suggestions.
Thanks - - John

This is the order I used:
1. In dev...defined projects and parameters with defaults, then created jobs using the User Defined Environment Variables.
2. Defined the project in QA using Administrator where I defined the same parameters with the new defaults
3. DEV - Exported(Manager) components in Manager (whole project)
4. QA - Imported(Manager) components in Manager (whole project)
meena
Participant

Post by meena »

Hi,
Check whether you have hard coded any parameter value in jobs. It is diffcult to check them in QA as they are read only, but check it in Dev.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi Meena,
I have hard coded them in administrator. When I import the User Defined environment variable in the various jobs it brings in the hard coded value I used in Administrator. Should I not be doing it this way?
Thanks - - John
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

Did you define the value of the evnvironment variable as $PROJDEF or hard coded the values?
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

The values were hard coded...
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

Then you should change the values of the environment variables in the job parameters tab to $PROJDEF, that will resolve your issue.
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thank you for the information!
Just want to make sure of one thing.....The $PROJDEF will be coded in the individual jobs(designer) and that will automatically get the current value coded in the Administrator?
shrey3a
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shrey3a »

Yes...
[quote="JPalatianos"]Thank you for the information!
Just want to make sure of one thing.....The $PROJDEF will be coded in the individual jobs(designer) and that will automatically get the current value coded in the Administrator?[/quote]