jobs compare

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fmartinsferreira
Participant

jobs compare

Post by fmartinsferreira »

Is it possible to compare a job in a project with a job in a ".dsx" file? :roll:

Regards,

Fernando Martins
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Export the job and compare the 2 DSX files.
Mamu Kim
fmartinsferreira
Participant

jobs compare

Sorry :oops: , but how can I compare 2 ".dsx" files?

Fernando
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

.dsx files are just text. You can compare them visually with a text editor or with a tool (download a trial of UltraCompare).

John
fmartinsferreira
Participant

Hummm OK! :D

But, the DataStage doesn't have a specific tool to compare jobs? :shock:

Fernando Martins
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Not yet :wink:
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
fmartinsferreira
Participant

Thanks!
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It is my understanding that MetaStage has a compare tool or report. You could also do it in Reporting Assistant. HAWK has an awesome tools for comparing anything.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm assuming that's what the "not yet, wink wink" message meant - it is coming in Hawk from what I understand.

I just do it the old fashioned boring way - export and UltraEdit. :lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Version 7x sucks. We want 8x.
Mamu Kim
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it! I know that we'll be pining for "good old Version 7.5x once we work with the first versions of 8"
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

Yes and so does Ascential's maintenance process of not creating rollups for patches and baselines. Hopefully IBM has mandated that Ascential test their software and remove bugs, at least 99.9% of them before they release the product instead of giving me a product that works for about 10% of what I need to do. Well, to be honest, it works about 90% of the time now that I have applied about 25 patches over the course of 1.5 years! On the patches, many of the patches I have received are over 1 year old. They never made it into 7.5.2. Seems ludicrous to me. Had I not requeted this patches be applied to 7.5.2 where would they have gone? Believe it or not, Ascential did not know what would have happened to the patches. Anyways, after getting 7.5.2 I had to request that Ascential create patches for about 20 fixes that never went into 7.5.2. Crazy.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ultramundane wrote:Anyways, after getting 7.5.2 I had to request that Ascential create patches for about 20 fixes that never went into 7.5.2. Crazy.
Yikes... are these patches primarily for one product over the other, parallel versus server for example? I'm in the process of getting my hands on the 7.5.2 version of Server and this concerns me. Of course, I haven't needed 20 or 25 patches in the last 1.5 years...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

We are on AIX.

Yes. They are all for parallel canvas. However, there is some overlap. The big patch which has about 20 patches rolled into one (we requested this), is associated with case 488712. This big patch contains many corruption issues caused by datastage and incorrect date, time, timestamp handling, and decimal handling. There are fixes for version control bugs, enhanced dsjob log output, fixes for issues with passwords, which are encrypted, beig displayed uncrypted in the job log. Truncate option not doing truncate but delete. Removal of many unwanted and buggy datastage permission checks. Fixes to support Sybase user defined datatypes. Varchar's being corrupted because of being padded with PAD_CHAR. NullToValue fixes in transformer. Upserts (delete then insert) failing to insert after delete. And more.

We also have newer ODBC drivers for long varchar support Case 470645. In addition, a patch which fixes incorrect warning error messages (Ecase 97821). I am still waiting for some other patches for a TIME datatype corruption bug and a few others. We still have a problem with mload jobs getting hung and stuck in "Multiload Acquisition Phase", but I am confident that that one is actually a Teradata utilities issue.