Creating Metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sdfasih
Participant

Creating Metadata

Post by sdfasih »

Hi,
Can some body tell me how to create metadata for a given sequential
file.Possibly send some sample metadata for a standard sequential file.
Thanx in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

sdfasih,

Here is some sample metadata for a file on my system: VarChar(128).

Do you see that the question, at least as I understand it, is somewhat vague? What are you trying to achieve? Most files that you will use will have different metadata - in this case we are talking about the definitions on how the data file's contents are to be interpreted. There is no such thing as a "standard" sequential file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have any documentation about the file's structure? Does the file have column headings in its first line?

The best way to create metadata for the file is to Import the Sequential File's Table Definition. This is a three step wizard; identify the file, specify its format, and define its columns.

There is no such thing as a "standard sequential file".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sdfasih
Participant

Post by sdfasih »

Hi ray,
I don't have data for the sequential file but i have metadata for the sequential file
and i would like to import metadata by creating a file layout.I have 20 fields like
field1 varchar2 30
field2 varchar2 40
field3 varchar2 12
field4............
can you suggest a way to create file layout possibly send a sample file layout for sequential
file and as well as how to import the metadata from it.
Thanx.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just create a text file in CSV format, with column headings and one line of dummy data. Then import the table definition from that. Store the table definition in an appropriate (to your standards) category.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sdfasih
Participant

Post by sdfasih »

Hi Ray,
I would also like to include datatype and length too.Is there any way to do it.So that
I am importing the complete metadata with datatype and length.
Thanx.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The import process will "guess" the data type, precision and scale from your data. You can amend any wrong guesses as part of the import wizard, before actually saving the table definition into the Repository.