Using Same job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Prashantoncyber
Participant

Using Same job

Post by Prashantoncyber »

Hi All,

I have one job which is used to extract data from one division.
Now as per new requirement, we have to extract data files from number of other divisions lying at different time zones.
One way is to create as many as jobs as number of new data files that add in.
But I am exploring possibility to run the same job some thing with multiple instances or thread or using activation id etc instead the creating new jobs.
Can any body suggest on this.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is a common task. Make the job a multi-instance job and pass in the path and name of the source file via parameters.
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Two options:
1. Use parameterized File Names within the server job and run it from a sequence job providing the value for the parameter. You can include Loop activity to do it for multiple times. File Names can be read from within a Routine.
2. Use parameterized file names and create the job as multi instanced job as you have thought and call the job with different invocation ids (with different file names) from within a Sequence.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If you dont have any change in the metadata or with some configurable change, you can approach the suggested options. If the metadata is different from present, you need to go for different jobs.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

The best approach in my opinion would be to create the job as a multi-instance job and schedule it since you say that files are available at different times of the day.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson