Executing DS jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Executing DS jobs

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
Is it possible to execute DataStage jobs(exe's) without connecting to the DataStage Server at all. I didn't think this was possible, but one of our consultants thought that this is possible as long as the proper dll's were copied as well. He suggested to management that we could create EXE's on our DataStage environment(windows platform) and then have them execute on a UNIX platform w/out connecting to the DS server.

I just browsed the section in the developers guide about writing DataStage API applications and it all execution depends on connecting to the DS server.

Thanks - - John
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Executing DS jobs

Post by DeepakCorning »

Well, i do not kanow what you mean by saying "connecting" to the server , but yes running the jobs without "logging in" in any of the client tool is possible through command line.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

My question actually boils down to.......
You shut down the DataStage Server....could any of the jobs be executed on another machine?
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

JPalatianos wrote:My question actually boils down to.......
You shut down the DataStage Server....could any of the jobs be executed on another machine?
You need to connect to Datastage server..if you shut the server down by uv -admin stop then you cannot execute a datastage job

You can do it from scripts..you have to do a
cd $DSHOME
. ./dsenv
cd $DSJOBPATH
where DSHOME is where your Datastage Enine is and DSJOBPATH where the datastage is installed..
DSHOME="/opt/ds/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine"
DSJOBPATH="/opt/ds/Ascential/DataStage"

Thenfrom that path you have to call the job using a DSJOB -RUN command
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thanks Avishek...It makes sense that the server must be running. They were thinking they could create some sort of standalone exe.

Re: the scripts/commands you shared below....
Could you execute DS jobs running on Windows 2003 Server from a Unix box as well?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are two other DLLs that you have to install with your dsjob executable. The Server Job Developer's Guide describes the process of deploying dsjob to other machines.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Jobs are compiled as subroutines, called by a "stub" program DSD.RUN executing from a DS Engine shell program (currently called uvsh. There is no separating jobs from the DS Engine. Furthermore, you'd lose all of the engine bin stuff, which is kind of needed. Furthermore, the projects must exist 'cause that's where the logs and stuff go. I could keep going, but you get the point.

Sorry, you've gotten bad advice.

PS. Ignore Ray's comment :shock: , I think he thought you were talking about dsjob, not jobs themselves. [/u]
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

True. I was.

There ain't no such thing as a DataStage EXE, as Ken has pointed out. DataStage server jobs are best thought of as executing in a virtual machine called the "DataStage run machine". You can only run DataStage jobs where this is installed.

But you can remotely execute using dsjob (which is where I was coming from).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thank you all for all the advice. I not only receieved the answer to my question but tips on how to proceed with executing jobs remotely.
Thanks again!!