Abnormal Termination

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raj_cipher
Participant

Abnormal Termination

Post by raj_cipher »

Hi,

I get the following message

"Abnormal termination of stage IWD5B010ClmMedTransPart1..MTF_BROK_GRGR_Hfs.IDENT3 detected"

I get this kind of message quite often.Wat's this all about.I'm unable to figure it out.While browsing thru the form i found that it could be a disk space problem also.If so how to solve this.
Think Ahead,
Raj.D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Delete anything you don't need from the disk? :P

In particular, clean up the file system referred to by the UVTEMP configuration parameters, anything old in &PH&, any scratch space your routines use. Purging log files of old entries can help, too.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you reset the job after it's aborted, you sometimes get an event logged "from previous run...". This can contain additional diagnostic information.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Another common cause for abnormal termination of stage is that the stage is handling NULL values where it isn't expecting to.

Beware that the Sequential File stage, unless you change the Format, will map "" to NULL when reading the text file. This can introduce NULLs that you weren't expecting.
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

Would you please elaborate the following:

"Delete anything you don't need from the disk? In particular, clean up the file system referred to by the UVTEMP configuration parameters, anything old in &PH&, any scratch space your routines ... "

Thanks,
dsx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Tell me which parts of it aren't clear.
lkthoma
Participant

Post by lkthoma »

I just recently worked with DataStage support on an issue I was having much like this. What it turned out to be was a job level setting. IBM advised me at that in the Job Parameters option to look on the performance tab. Once there they had me un-check the 'use poject defaults' and select the 'enable row buffer' and then 'inter process'.

They basically said that the job was intermittently failing while trying to get enough system resources.
lkthoma
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

This will be one of the reason for this error. if diognised well, and found out noting else could be the reason, you can increase this factor.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Abnormal Termination of Stage ..."IDENT3 detected"

Post by Latha1919 »

I am currenly working on DataStage 5.1 and one of the job is aborting with the same message "Abnormal Termination of Stage ....."IDENT3 detected" while writing the data from SQL server table to a Hash file.

However, I am not able to find the "Job Parameters" option to look on the performance tab. Is that in Designer or Director and where exactly I can find this.

Please advise me.

Thanks,
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

In Designer>>Job Properties>>Performance Tab
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

In the job properties, I could see only 4 tabes namely: General, Parameter, Job Control, Dependencies. No performance tab here. Is that DataStage 5.1 V?
dsx
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Latha1919 wrote:Is that DataStage 5.1 V?
Sorry i missed that part. Never worked with that, maybe someone else can help you with that.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)