Job Status = 14

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Status = 14

Post by DeepakCorning »

I searched for this on the forum and got a loat of topics on this , but still did not quite get the reason of this error. Can you please guide me to a topic which clearly explains this and differentiate it with "out of resuorces" job state??
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

I have tried executing the jobs from Unix using and have seen this status code 14.

It means - Process of creating unix process for the job failed or timeout.

I have not heard about or seen out of resource state. The reason of unable to create the unix process for the job is many times, the resources on system i.e. memory, CPU time, total no. of open files, etc are occupied.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

as mentioned above this is caused by the engine not being able to invoke the datastage job in 60secs - this is hardwired so the timeout cant be lengthened

Once the job is running ur are ok, so one thing to consider is are you trying to invoke lots (100s) of jobs at the same time - if so try staggering the invocations.

The problem can be down to box resources but can also be down to engine configuration, basically there are various parameters set in uvconfig file , such as MFILES and many others that I wont go into ...

.. many of these concern the number of hashfiles (both internal to the job - e.g. log files, and used in the ETL) that then engine can have open at the same time.
Once this limit is reached accross an engine - then it has to temporailiy close files to open others - and this can take time - more than 60 secs and u got probs.

This can all be tweaked via UVconfig as the limits out the box are a bit on the small side - I would suggest getting some guidence from you support provider -