Accessing/Reading Outlook .pst files in DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

y_suresh
Participant

Accessing/Reading Outlook .pst files in DataStage

Post by y_suresh »

Hi , I got a requirement to process the contacts information from Outlook using DataStage. I want to know how we can read the .pst files in dataStage. We are using Server eddition , windows version. I donot want to change the .pst file to csv or excel initially. I know this work aound and thats my last option. please let me know , if any one work on this type of requirement earlier.
_Suresh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You cannot use DataStage to read .pst files. The format is not only quite complex but oftentimes these files are encrypted as well. I did a quick google search and there are products out there that will convert .pst files to text ones; or you could even try an Outlook export. Once you have a text file you will be able to read that from DataStage.
y_suresh
Participant

Post by y_suresh »

ArndW wrote:You cannot use DataStage to read .pst files. The format is not only quite complex but oftentimes these files are encrypted as well. I did a quick google search and there are products out there that will convert .pst files to text ones; or you could even try an Outlook export. Once you have a text file you will be able to read that from DataStage.
Hi ArndW,
I did try the export this .pst file as csv and thats work fine. I can work with that. But I want make this automated , so I am looking some way to do this conversion automatic and want to check whether we can read this .pst file from DataStage.
Suresh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Whatever you did to export the .PST file, wrap that in a BAT file and execute it from DataStage control (for example an Execute Command activity in a job sequence, or a before-job subroutine).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
y_suresh
Participant

Post by y_suresh »

ray.wurlod wrote:Whatever you did to export the .PST file, wrap that in a BAT file and execute it from DataStage control (for example an Execute Command activity in a job sequence, or a before-job subroutine). ...
Ray,
I did the export from Outllok GUI , but I am not sure how to do from Command Prompt. I am looking for the commands to export .
Thanks for reply
Suresh