New KgdGenHtml zip posted

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

New KgdGenHtml zip posted

Post by kduke »

I posted a new zip file for KgdGenHtml. It has source code on all but 2 routines.

JobReport was not written by me. Tony Curcio wrote it and I do not have source. Maybe he will post it. Nice job Tony by the way.

The other routine without code is KgdGenHtmlFromSqlRtn. I am not teaching you guys how to use ODBC in BASIC. You do that way too much now. It is not a good practice to go around the GUI but I like this routine. It lets me feed any SQL into any ODBC connection and generate html document which I can email. It is a very important piece to EtlStats as well. I use it in the QA part of EtlStats as well. I think the ETL should notify you when it succeeds and when it fails with the best looking reports possible. That is why I wrote this routine. I cannot always count on BO or MicroStrategy to write my reports. This is quick and dirty and I think it looks professional.

This all started from this private message. Please post questions in the forum and no emails or private messages but thanks for this one. This zip file has not been updated since 2004 so it needed a fresh look.

To: kduke
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:41 am
Subject: KgdGenHtml Quote message
Hi

I found the documentation facilities (KgdGenHtml) and it's very useful.
The thing is that i can't see the code of your routine.
Do you mind send me it ?
I just want to improve my understanding and my knowledge.

Thanks

thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi

Thank you for the post and for the zip.
Sorry about the message.
Hope This Helps
Regards
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It was okay. I needed to know. Just don't want to encourage others to post private messages to the top posters. It is a little overwhelming sometimes.
Mamu Kim
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi

I tried to contact Tony Curcio by email but the one i have it's not valid anymore.
I'm looking for the code of the jobreport routine.

Thank you.

Do i have to do a new post ?
Hope This Helps
Regards
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

That email was for Ascential. If he still works the email will be an IBM one.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And if that's the case, IBM will own the code.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thurmy34
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thurmy34 »

Hi,

I tried to find the code of the jobreport routine but my search failed.
I'm afraid that we lose it.

:cry:
Last edited by thurmy34 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope This Helps
Regards
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I am sure Ray is correct. IBM owns it and will not give it out.
Mamu Kim
avidal18
Participant

Post by avidal18 »

Hi,

I've tried to use the KgdGenHtml and it works OK but seems like it is not generating the bmp images for each job, or at least they are not under ..\KimD\Jobs\ directory or anywhere else in the server.

I've copied the DSaveAsBmp.bat and DSaveAsBmpDriver.bat to my local client directory C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage7.5 but still isn't generating bmp files.

Do I have to copy the *.bat to a specific directory? Do they have to be at server side?

Thanks in advance.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You need to edit the bat files to see what directories are hardcoded. Normally they are installed in C:\DataStage\KimD\Scripts. There also needs to be a C:\DataStage\KimD\Backups directory unless you edit the files.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You will probably need to edit these anyway to fix the path to DataStage client files.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

This runs on the client. If it cannot find dsdesign.exe then you need to fix the path otherwise the DataStage client is not installed.
Mamu Kim
lbbrooks
Participant

Post by lbbrooks »

Your automated report generator will be a godsend for the backlog of job documentation I have to do. I generated reports using KgdGenHtml. The reports give less detail than the ones I get when I use Designer's report generator. What do I need to change to get that level of detail.

:) thanks, from us newbies

Leon
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

The only problem I've found is the size of the final solution because of the BMP's from designer. I got around that by converting them to jpg and sed'ing the html to change bmp to jpg. I have also added an annotations area as a scroll port in the html, linking to a file in an annotations directory created via touch. Users, designers etc can edit this file and have it show in the doco.

I have to agree, this is the best tool for documentation. With discipline on the developers part to fully document the jobs and stages (standards, standards, standards) the html has become our only documentation method as it's easy to keep up to date, where other forms tend to be either not complete and are rarely updated.
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.