Assigning a value from file to environment variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Assigning a value from file to environment variables

Post by Xpert »

Hi

I want to assign DataStage Environment variable defined in the datastage adminstrator value from file.

To explian the above in detail,

I have a file called assignvalue.txt, I need to read this file and assign content of this file to DataStage Environment variable defined in the datastage adminstrator. That means, it contains set of file names, i have to pass this filenames to the parameter.

Please let us know how I can do this? Thanks in Advance.....
With regards,
Xpert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's an internal inconsistency in what you wrote. I must assume that you want to override the value defined in the Administrator client with some other value obtained from a file.

There is no problem assigning a new value to an environment variable; you can use the set command at operating system level, or the ENV SET command at TCL level.

To pick this up automatically in a job, simply have the default value for the particular environment variable job parameter to $ENV.

Otherwise you can pick up the value by any means you like (for example an Execute Command activity or a Routine activity) and pass that into the Job activity through the regular job parameters grid.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xpert »

ray.wurlod wrote:There's an internal inconsistency in what you wrote. I must assume that you want to override the value defined in the Administrator client with some other value obtained from a file.

There is no p ...
Yes you are correct ray. I need to overwrite the value defined in the Client Administrator. I need help on this. How can I do this? Thanks in Advance.
With regards,
Xpert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Was there something in my previous post that wasn't clear?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xpert »

ray.wurlod wrote:Was there something in my previous post that wasn't clear?

Hi,

I am not a premier poster, i am trying to get the membership. Help me out ray. Because your full message in previous reply is not visible. Thanks in Advance.
With regards,
Xpert
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Do you need help for becomign member, Click on "Premium Membership" from the home page Navigation.
If you need help on you issue, search for "ENV SET".
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'