DICTVOC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asoka_dwh
Participant

DICTVOC

Post by asoka_dwh »

Can anybody explain what is DICTVOC.
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DICTVOC

Post by Xpert »

asoka_dwh wrote:Can anybody explain what is DICTVOC.

Hi ashok,

DICT means Dictionary and VOC means Vocabulary. If anything mistake please legends correct me.
With regards,
Xpert
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You are correct. These are concepts within the Universe database. The DICT side of a hashed file or "table" stores the field names or formulas. The dictionary items are evaluated when you execute SQL or run the old fashioned reports called Recall or English within Universe.

The VOC is the system table equivalent for a project or account. A project is a schema or account in Universe terminology.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Another way to think of it is that the "file dictionary" is a separate hashed file in which the metadata for a hashed file is stored.

Every hashed file is created with two portions; the data portion, which stores data only, and the dictionary portion, which stores metadata.

The keyword DICT can be used in queries and in BASIC to refer to the dictionary portion instead of the data portion. For example

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM DICT DS_AUDIT;
returns the column names for the DS_AUDIT table (hashed file).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asoka_dwh
Participant

Post by asoka_dwh »

Thanks Guys :)
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xpert »

ray.wurlod wrote:Another way to think of it is that the "file dictionary" is a separate hashed file in which the metadata for a hashed file is stored.

Every hashed file is created with two portions; the data portio ...
Hi,

As you mentioned, what are those two portions? Can you explain briefly. Thanks in Advance....
With regards,
Xpert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My previous post does explain briefly. Invest the less than $1 per week in a premium membership.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.